3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle after throttle body replacement, 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 11:07 PM
Brandon97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle after throttle body replacement, 5.7 hemi

I have an 03 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi. Just the other day i was driving down the road when all of a sudden i lost throttle control, and now idles and runs very roughly. I pulled over, read the manual and its the ecu (electronic throttle control) i promptly had it brought home, and the next day I replaced the throttle body thinking it was the issue. I replaced it and started up the truck and it was the same as before. It takes time to start, kills if it isnt given any gas, and reaches a rev limit of 3,900 rpms. The work i have done has done nothing, i cleaned the senser in the mass air flow, and as i said replaced the throttle body. Just tonight i limped it to a shop 3 miles away, but would like to have more than one opinion on the issue. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks -Brandon.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:28 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, Brandon.

Did you get any trouble codes? Need to get it scanned.

If you don't have access to a scanner, and it is driveable, go to an auto parts store. Most will scan it free.

If that isn't possible, check for stored codes in the cluster.

Turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON in ~5 seconds and watch the odometer.

It will display P-codes and finish with Pdone.

Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Rough idle after throttle body replacement, 5.7 hemi