3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driveshaft Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Meezer
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveshaft Questions

I recently picked up another 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Regular Cab, long bed, hemi, aod.

It is sitting over at my friends garage for a small list of repairs. His day time job is working at a Chevy dealership as Mr Goodwrench

One of the things that I need is the rear drive shaft. I ordered a used one from a local auto salvage yard. I picked it up & dropped it off at the garage.

My friend just called me and asked "are you sure this is the right shaft?" You dropped off an aluminum one & the one on your truck is steel"

From his experience from working on Chevy/GM vehicles with aluminum shafts was that in his opinion "they're for light duty"

I plan on using this truck to pull landscape trailers & for snow plowing.

Will the aluminum driveshaft hold up or am better off getting a steel one?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will hold up, all the new Rams have them. My Dad's 2012 Cummins with plow package has a factory aluminum one.
His truck is close to 8,000lbs on 37's with a 6" lift, and he routinely tows a 28' camper.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Meezer
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the info. We'll give it a try & see how it works.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Questions