3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Computer Replacement,-2006 TRX4

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:33 AM
WTBJR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Replacement,-2006 TRX4

My Truck has 157000k miles.

I just returned to Western North Carolina from a two month, 4000 mile road trip, pulling a 3000 lb camper to North Dakota staying at KOAs

About 800miles from home,the transmission started shifting weird.I was averaging about 70mph through out the trip... On occasion,, the engine would rev.to 4k+..It would be under load but didn't really feel like the gearing changed. I quickly let off throttle and the tach.would calm down..

I was running in the tow/haul mode.I was concerned with the inconsistent over revs. I still had 3500miles back home. I was very careful in my driving.

My destination was Bottineau ND.,,1583miles. Before I began, I had the transmission serviced, filters change and gravity flush and refill with synthetic oil. Installed drain plug..I haven't dropped the oil and checked magnet.

I stayed there for 4weeks and drove around a lot..If You needed a Lowe's or Home Depot I'd have to drive 1 1/2 hours to Minot ND. Transmission worked and shifted fine,..

On one of those trips the "check engine light" came on.We had the 1 1/2 hr back to Bottineau..I had purchased a OBDII code reader.but did not have it in the truck.The truck ran fine.I pulled the codes and it was a 700 Transmission Control.. This has happened once before, right after I bought the truck 2yr ago.

I cleared the code and 3500miles later, hasn't come back on.

I left ND and camped through SD,MO KS.NB.KN,TN,,NC,, SC,,2000+miles..

I know that I am looking at a Transmission rebuild or replacement but because the computer runs a lot of stuff I thought it would be a option to change it out. I found a site that given Your vehicle's VIN # they flash the computer, matched to Your vehicle and upgraded to complete updates.

Here are My questions;

Has anyone done this,? If so what was the results? I figured I needed to replace the computer first then transmission.

Are there transmission upgrades for my truck.

What is the towing capacity of my truck if all components are working properly.?,my camper is light but seems like the pull is harder than it should be for the truck

Thank-you for any and all help

Last edited by WTBJR; 10-30-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 PM
WTBJR
Default Computer replacement,,Help please

Are All of this Truck's computers/controllers integrated in to a single unit mounted on the passenger side fire wall??

Old 11-05-2016, 04:34 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

What engine? What gears? FYI trailer tires are only rated to 60mph. You should have 5rfe. Could silly be a shift solenoid issue. What does the fluid smell like? Is it still bright red?

Old 11-05-2016, 06:03 PM
WTBJR

Ok, the engine is 5.7L,,KN filter and intake,,

Just before the beginning of Our trip, I installed new Copper Plus plugs, KN filter/cold intake..

I dropped the transmission pan, drilled tapped for a plug..R&R both filters,, gravity flushed the system then fill with synthetic oil. I have not dropped the oil since I have returned.

About a year ago I threw a 700 trans code, I erased and it has not reappeared until ND just cruising around.No issues on the return trip except for the occasional jump from 2500rpm to 4-5000..,, Mostly between 65-75..
I would immediately come off throttle.

I do not know the gearing. 2006 TRX4 Manufacturing date 9/2005 All Stock

Old 11-05-2016, 07:02 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Just pull the dipstick at check fluid condition . 700 is a generic code. Where you on a flat or pulling a grade. Pm dodge cares your vin he can let you know gear ratio. Quick guess 8500lbs.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:44 PM
WTBJR

The times when the"over rev" occurred I was towing trailer, slight grade

Both times that the check engine light came on and the code registered I was not towing and no grade

Old 11-07-2016, 04:38 PM
WTBJR

I pulled the dip stick and the oil is red,clean and has very little odor