3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back from weekend 1400 mile tow in the Ram...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from weekend 1400 mile tow in the Ram...

The conclusion from last week...

Friday... North LA to Central IL. The hemi-Ram's first real job. Towed like a dream. Cruise and OD all the way. It never shifted out of OD unless I planted my foot in it to pass. No issues with the rolling hills of western Mississippi or elsewhere.

For those interested in such things: at 71 mph it averaged 13.5 mpg. When I reached IL with its lesser speed-limit I got to see how much difference a constant 66 mph makes. At the reduced speed, exactly 15 mpg, or an 11.1% fuel hit for 7.6% speed increase--the aeros, etc. take their toll.

Saturday... gave half of Effingham the "slide-rides" of their lives in the little car.

Sunday... towing home the empty trailer I got as high as 17.4 mpg on one leg, averaging 15 mpg for the round trip. The cheapest gas I saw was $2.05 for reg (which of course I don't use) in northern AR.

Here are the truck, trailer, and load specs to make sense of these data:
'05 Ram SL hemi, tow-package, 3.92 limited slip, cruise. That's it; no "stuff," moonroofs, microwaves, etc. However, on the way home the bed had at least 60-70 extra pounds of stereo widgets out of the trunk of the racecar-in-training.

Trailer: 16' aluminum from trailerworld.com in Bowing Green, KY. I cannot say enough good about these people. They were extremely helpful, patiently answering my numerous e-mail questions for months prior to the purchase, and being very understanding when delivery of the truck was delayed and I had to postpone pick-up a couple times. The trailer weighs perhaps 1500# with the spare. This is pretty hefty for all aluminimum compared to others I'd priced, but it is built accordingly.

Load: 2500# MegaMonsterMiata hardtop, plus perhaps 200# of tools and parts in the truck bed.

I'm very pleased with the combo and its performance. I have far fewer qualms about towing 3400 miles round trip each year to race.

If you recall the picture in my driveway last week, here we are unloaded at the other end, in Effingham, IL at what looks to be a unimposing electric rewinding business--one that's the home of multiple Bonneville world record holders. We're hoping for one more as some point!

Diesel, everyone told me... buy a diesel. "We don't need no stinkin' diesel!"

All the best!

Uh... no idea where the pic went. Says it's "uploaded successfully" and is "embeded"--NOT.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 PM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: Back from weekend 1400 mile tow in the Ram...

Temperatures always scare me on long hauls pulling a load. Did you see your temp gauge increase at all? I wish trucks had a tranny temp gauge stock. That's my next mod.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 AM
mill500
Veteran

Glad to hear it went well. Let us know how it goes when you go out to Utah.

I did a similar, but a little shorter trip last week from Chicago area to Columbus and back to pick up a car. Had about the same trailer it sounds as yours, put a '00 Grand Prix on it to haul back with 2 engines in the bed...not sure about the weight of the engines, but guessing 700-800 lbs ea.

Like you found, pulled great. I kept it in Tow/Haul mode, which isn't great on gas, 11mpg and under. My primary concern wasn't the mileage, though, but how it would handle the load. Very satisfied with the performance. Temp guage never moved, but I agree a trans temp guage would be a good add-on. I also agree about the diesel. If I was full-timing with a 5th wheel trailer, maybe, but this thing's great for my use. If I was to do this regularly, I'd say I'd definately go to the 2500 though. My 1500 did have some squat to it. Made me feel good that the thing can work as well as have fun.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Avanti
Captain

I have no tranny temp-guage either, so I only would have the idiot light to rely on.

In any event, other than gas, the guages never moved from their usual positions. I didn't need to rely on "Tow/Haul" mode. I may add the deep finned pan and a guage when I get the chance. They'd be of value on real jobs. Both are a simple thing to do when one changes oil and filter the first time. I've found having a drain-plug greatly facilitates my willingness to change trans oil and filter.

I may as well go ahead and buy the pan, guage, and sender.

All the best.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

When I pull my boat 5,000 lbs total weight .Trailer is a four wheel Load rite with disc brakes on all four wheel I tow in tow/haul The truck is a ram 1500 3.55 rear. Quad cab 4x4 Hemi, I get around 13.5 average. That's at 60 to 65 mph.One guy tried to pass me with a Ford Explorer hauling a 18 ft I/O, Mine is a 21 ft I/O any way I let him pull up next to me at 60 MPH and then I nailed it.. You know what happened next .Yes he gave me the Finger as I went merryly down the road.

Quick Reply: Back from weekend 1400 mile tow in the Ram...