3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mix Zerex G5 with red coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 PM
seasonaleclipse
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mix Zerex G5 with red coolant?

My truck is on the add mark on the coolant and I looked up the coolant I need and came up with zerex G5. I bought the stuff and it's green while the coolant in my truck is red.
Is it ok to mix ?
Otherwise I have no idea what coolant is in it and I can't afford a flush to change out all the coolant right now.
Truck is 04 Ram with the 4.7
I have googled it and the answers vary so that's why I'm just wanting a definitate answer

Last edited by seasonaleclipse; 12-30-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:08 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have an 04 with Hemi but the coolant is pink or red Mopar. I messed up a few years back and let someone change out my factory coolant for another that is equivalent but soon realized I had made a mistake and change back to Mopar. These trucks are peculiar about using factory fluids especially with transmission, coolant, and power steering. I was informed that the water pump is lubricated specifically by the correct Mopar coolant.

Hope this was of some help.

Attached Thumbnails Mix Zerex G5 with red coolant?-img_1104.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 PM
KasperR34
All Star

+1, just buy the coolant from Mopar, it's cheap. I'm about to replace Water Pump, Rad hoses, T stat and flush it all and am going to go to Mopar to get all my refill.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:27 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfotsch
I also have an 04 with Hemi but the coolant is pink or red Mopar. I messed up a few years back and let someone change out my factory coolant for another that is equivalent but soon realized I had made a mistake and change back to Mopar. These trucks are peculiar about using factory fluids especially with transmission, coolant, and power steering. I was informed that the water pump is lubricated specifically by the correct Mopar coolant.

Hope this was of some help.
Of course they're going to say that. I've been using Prestone for the last 2 years without a problem and 55,000 miles so far, I even flushed my system with tap water added 2 jugs of full strength prestone mixed 50/50 so basically 4 jugs all together when you include the tap water. I run very high RPM's all the time, water pump is fine, the only thing I've got problems with are those dirty rotten Ford power steering pumps, my 3rd pump in 3 years is on its way out. Heck I even used to add the left over water bottles I had in the truck in the overflow and would use my coolant tester to make sure it wasn't too much.

The only real issues I've seen on every Hemi in my family (theres about 6 of them) the water pump gasket likes to weep coolant under certain driving conditions and the fan blows it all over so you can't tell where its coming from and its not enough to warrant immediate action as its only down a quart every 3 months in the overflow. Also hard to track down since it won't do it at idle, I regasketed my parents hemi Durango and the coolant issues were gone, and I could tell exactly where the rubber gaskets had failed with the corrosion build near flattened parts of the gasket. Definitely add permatex to the water pump gasket if you ever have to change it for any reason.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 01-01-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:55 AM
KasperR34
All Star

I also have green coolant in my Hemi currently due to an emergency, but will be going to Mopar coolant after the above described maintenance. It's a couple dollars more per bottle but it's worth it.