3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Hemi Running Rough, Stalls

Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 AM
suntanjam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Hemi Running Rough, Stalls

Hi,

I have an 04 1500 with a hemi. Only has 46k miles. Garaged all it's life. Wife drove it to work, ran fine. When she went to drive home, it ran rough and would stall. Barely ran.

I have been trying to solve this issue. Replaced MAP and AIT sensor. Cleaned TB. Replaced EGR valve. No change.

Right now it starts, idles very rough. Strong smell of running rich. No check engine light. My Advanced Auto code reader shows no codes.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Very frustrated!!!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:17 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Sparks plugs?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 AM
jbird720
Professional

My 05 was notorious for having a issue and never throwing a code.
-it could be your throttle body. It has the Throttle body sensor built on it and the hole thing would need replaced, good news via amazon a Mopar throttle body is only $130.
-2 other we'll know trouble makers are the Cam shift and crank shaft position sensors. They'll shut your truck down randomly,make it run like ****, and not even start. $16 ea. Super easy to swap.
Keep us posted on the resolve

Old 02-20-2017, 09:28 AM
suntanjam
Default Thanks, trying different things.

Thanks guys. I replaced the plugs at 40k, so I don't think that's the issue. Cam shift and crank shaft position sensors are next on the list to try, and then the throttle body. For some reason the 05 TB is a lot less expensive than the 04. As the lowest price I can find for the 04 is around $220. Dealer wants $330...ouch!
Which leads me to the next question, is the 05 TB the same as the 04?
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
suntanjam
Default PO300 Code

Well, after changing the Crankshaft position sensor, things changed. The check engine light is now on (it wasn't on before), and I'm getting PO300 code (no codes before). And my seatbelt chime is now working (hasn't worked for a long time), go figure. Any recommendations as to what to try next? O2 sensors? New plug wires? I don't have much hair left to pull out of my head, so I hope I can figure this out soon! :-)

Old 02-20-2017, 03:40 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

P0300 is a random miss fire. Look for signs that critters have been in the engine bay. Chewed wiring.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM
suntanjam

Well... Just changed all 4 O2 sensors and installed new plug wires. Also filled the tank with premium gas and added injector cleaner and water removal fluid. No more check engine light and no codes. Still idles and runs rough. Almost seems like a major vacuum leak or it's only running on 7 cylinders. Also hear a type of gasping sound over the motor. Haven't replaced the TB because I don't think that's the problem...or is it? Coil packs? Not many hairs left...

Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 PM
deweert

Did you check the plug wires? Run it at night in complete dark. It's an easy way to see if one is grounding .....

Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM
suntanjam
Default Latest Update

Latest update. Here are the completed tasks.

• Map, AIT, Crank, sensors replaced.
  • EGR valve replaced.
  • New wires and plugs (old plugs were not fouled).
  • Checked for spark on all coils (all good).
  • Cleaned TB.
  • Replaced all 4 02 sensors.
No codes or CEL.

Still runs like crap...Deja-vu hits me!

When I took the truck for a ride down the highway, I noticed when I gave it gas the truck would buck and shudder. As soon as I let off the pedal, it would smooth out for a short period. Repeated this with same results. Idle is very rough and will sometimes stall.

Something seemed familiar about this... The engine is starving for gas. I had a boat with a new Yamaha 4 stroke that had very low hours. It developed a problem where it was hard to start, idled rough, and bogged down when I gave it gas. It also would smooth out for a short period when immediately pulling back on the throttle. Took it to the dealer and they tried different sensors and couldn't figure it out. I did some research and found a company called Witchhunter. They specialize in Injector cleaning. Decided to send the injectors to them for the hell of it. They sent them back to me with a spray pattern test results. Only 1 of the 4 had decent flow. The other 3 were clogged. Installed the cleaned injectors and the boat ran perfect!

So, I'm either going to send the injectors to them or try to find a deal on injectors locally. Will update when completed. I have no hair left to pull out of my head, so this better be the fix!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you considered broken valve spring ?

Search this Thread