3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

re-flashing the computer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Shutter Fox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question re-flashing the computer

recently on several occasions, my panic alarm engaged while I was driving my '02 1500 4WD and the only way to stop it was to pull over, and disconnect the battery grounding cable. I have since pulled the fuse to the horn and the problem has not re-occurred.
This frustrated me to be on the highway and suddenly have my headlights alternating rapidly between low and high beam and the horn going off.
In researching the issue, I found a Sept. 2002 Dodge TSB that said there was a glitch in the Gen.3 V1.1 software and that trucks with the panic alarm option would have this happen intermittently, and the trucks with the anti theft system it would intermittently happen upon opening the drivers door when the truck had been parked longer than 5 minutes. The TSB said the solution was to reflash the computer with the updated V1.4 or newer software. TSB suggested shop charge = 20 minutes labor.

I took the truck to two dealers (now 2016) asking them to reflash my computer and they refused without my first paying an additional flat $78 diagnostic fee, then the flash fee on top. They said the diagnostic is their 'policy' and I do not want to pay them for it. I feel as if it is like taking my truck in for new tires and being charged for an oil change in addition, because it is their 'policy' ...

1.) How/where can I get my computer flashed and not pay for the dealer to search out other things to use to try to jack up the bill?

2.) Am I wrong? or out of line?

Old 03-10-2017, 05:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You have already done the research, which is part of what that 'diagnostic fee' is all about. So, pick the dealer you like best, and have a chat with the service MANAGER. Explain to him that you already know what the problem is, and just want the fix. Its an easy job for one of his techs. Plug in, push a few buttons, wait, done. Tell him if this DOESN'T solve the issue, you will be happy to bring it back for diagnosis.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

NUMBER: 08-016-02
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: September 2, 2002

Horn Chirp and Erroneous Alarm
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Forward Control Module (FCM)
MODELS:
2002 - 2003 (DR) Ram Truck
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Two conditions have been identified which could be caused by electronic
communication errors between the Forward Controller Module (FCM) and
other electronic modules on the vehicle:
The first condition can occur after a vehicle has been turned off and allowed to sit for
more than a three minutes. A very brief horn chirp can sometimes be heard when a door
is opened. When the engine is turned off the electronic modules continue to function, or
stay awake for two to three minutes after shut down. After two to three minutes of inactivity
the modules deactivate or go into a sleep mode. When a door is opened, the modules are
activated or wake up. The brief horn chirp will occur at the time the modules wake up or
when the door is opened. This can occur due to a communication error in the FCM.
The second condition involves vehicles NOT equipped with Vehicle Theft Security
System (VTSS) exhibiting an alarm with the horn sounding and lights flashing. This
can also be caused by communication errors involving the FCM.
Both of these condition have been corrected with software revisions
in the FCM. Reprogramming the FCM with the latest software revision
(version 5.4) will correct the conditions.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-10-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Tell them you want THAT. The Front Control Module. I flash modules every day upon request without charging a diag fee. Those are some greedy ****z

HOWEVER......I'm not sure most dealers can even flash something that far back anymore, unless it's the PCM.

You might be able to get a used FCM for less than a flash.... Ebay search the part number on yours.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-10-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Shutter Fox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer flashing

I work outside of DC and while the rest of this country is suffering economic setbacks, this area is full of government contractors and government employees and has not seen much economic issues, everything here is very expensive and people act as if money means very little to them, they don't bat an eye at spending money. And the dealerships get away with very hard pricing.
​​​​​​​thanks I'll check into a dealership farther away from where I work, and will also look into purchasing a used module.