3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plug Mishaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 PM
codybowcut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Mishaps?

I just changed the plugs on my 06 Ram 1500 W/ 5.7L Hemi. The truck was running fine, but slow to start. I've only had the truck for about 5000 miles or so. I knew it was about time to change out the plugs. After I did, the truck was running funny. I'm not great at diagnosing ignition problems. I don't have any problem codes. Its not outright misfire, but I'm thinking the timing is off or something.
The plugs I took out had the diode burned off and the gap was about 0.60. The Ignition detail inside the hood says it needs to be gapped at 0.45. Is the change in the gap causing the performance problems?
I've read that the PCM "adjusts" to particular operating situations. Should it run normally after I drive it for a while?
Or, am I destined to pay somebody with the PC to "tune" the truck?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:25 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

What plugs did you put in? Timing is a function of the PCM.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:37 PM
codybowcut

Champion per the OEM specs I was quoted. That's also what I pulled out of it. I swear they looked like they may have been the original set. I don't understand how it operated so well with the plug gap the way they were.
I took it for a drive on the freeway. It feels like it has more power now. The display said I was getting better MPG than before too. It just sounds bad. Again, I don't have any P Codes tripped either. It's all audio. I can't feel a big difference in the vibration of the engine like you usually can when it is misfiring, or very out of tune. But some of the lower RPMs have this grizzly sound to it.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs don't have diodes. It could possibly take a day or two for the computer to realize it has new plugs. A better choice would have been NGK 5306s, but what's done is done. Also, forget the display. It doesn't know *** about mileage.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM
codybowcut

I suppose electrode would have been the correct word. I think the point was delivered. Thanks for the input.