3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Check Gauge" light comes on??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloflo357
Don't have an overheat issue, just white smoke out the pipe, and a yellow/whitish buildup on the bottom of my oil cap. Also, I have a slight hesitation that goes away after the engine warms up. These may all be related, or​ none. I have no idea.
I've had that white, foamy crap under the oil filler cap since I bought the truck ten years and 150K miles ago. Dodge says it's normal. Can't say I agree, but, I've never had oil in the coolant or vice-versa.

Is it smoke, or vapor? True white smoke is oil, not coolant. And if so, you should have fouling on your spark plugs.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bdhuntr
I've had that white, foamy crap under the oil filler cap since I bought the truck ten years and 150K miles ago. Dodge says it's normal.

Yeah, it's the "normal" crappy PCV system condensation hehe.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 PM
Sloflo357
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Thanks to all who provided help/suggestions. I did wind up having the head gasket replaced ($2200). I'll be taking it back for a quick check, due to the heater not pushing out hot air. Maybe needs a new thermostat? Not sure, but I think this will at least be a quicker, cheaper fix. Thanks again guys.