3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To replace the heads or not to replace the heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 PM
Hemi-powa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To replace the heads or not to replace the heads

Hey guys, I've got another oddball here..

I recently picked up an 05' 1500 QCSB 2wd 5.7 auto, decent miles and has sat for about 3 years.
Price was right and now it's mine.
At some point somebody drilled the ignition out, no biggy, 20 minute fix haha.
However to my dismay, when I finally got this bad boy to turn over and fire for me all I got was a very low, rough idle accompanied by a beautiful white cloud of smoke.

Now I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing... headgaskets or heads are done, probably why it was parked, right?

Well here's the problem... I've run this truck for a solid 1.5 hours at idle (plenty of times it died and got started back up).
Now, when I say it's putting out a lot of white smoke, IT IS PUTTING OUT A TON!! You would think a steam engine was running under the hood! Haha
One would venture to assume that if it is capable of putting on such a smoke show, it'd be using up a decent amount of water? Not the case here... I pulled the cap today and it was FULL!!

In my opinion the smoke is very heavy, slow moving (not like mist) and smells like rotten eggs, not great.

I believe it is unburnt fuel, is that a reasonable assumption?
This makes the most sense to me, as the truck has been sitting, maybe the plugs and wires are not so happy with age?

I have already drained the tank of all the old gas, refilled it, added some HEET, for any possible water, and a tad of sea foam to help clean out the lines and such.

This truck has absolutely no power when put into gear, you would be hard pressed to idle down the road.

So, what do you guys think? Am I just being optimistic in hoping it is a fuel or electrical issue?
Does white smoke always mean head issues?
I'm personally stuck on the fuel not being burnt potentially causing the smoke.
I'm all ears! Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Hemi-powa; 06-27-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Do a compression test.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:22 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used to be, white smoke meant coolant or oil, and black smoke meant fuel. Smelling like rotten eggs sounds like maybe clogged cats. I assume you have no codes?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM
Hemi-powa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no way it's not oil at this point, still need to do a compression test though..
My apologies for being colorblind, the smoke has a blue hue to it and lingers for a loooong time, stinks like oil too.
It stumbles at 2k rpm, fine after that, idle is bad to say the least.

No displayed codes, I'll hit it with my code reader next chance I get just to see if it's hiding anything.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

PCV System?