3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7L Surge with Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 PM
R0ADHEAD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7L Surge with Rough Idle

Trouble started a couple months ago. After 10 minutes of driving ETC light started to flash and it would idle slightly rough with no power. I would stop, shut it off restart and was good for another 10 minutes. I got to the point that I would just throw it in neutral, shut it off, restart and keep motoring.

Problem progressively got worse. Instead of stumbling at idle and it would surge quite rapidly in park. No CEL, no codes, just flashing ETC.

New battery
New throttle body
New Intake air sensor
Checked and cleaned all grounds.
Checked the MAP with an ohmeter and vac gauge it was within spec.
MAP reading with live data was fluctuating.

I decided to pull the intake. I found a couple hairline cracks in the bottom of the intake. Thought about trying to fix with a soldering iron, but bought a new intake instead. Installed new intake, new plugs, new wires, new boots on coils.

Go to start. Instant ETC light. it fired right up, surging worse than before and the idle was very rough. Still no codes at all, just a flashing ETC. I triple checked the wires for coils, injectors and ignition.

it is possible I broke a valve spring a couple weeks back when my temper flared and I was pounding red line trying to get the truck to respond.

What is the TRUE method to learn the throttle body on a Hemi? Ive seen a handful of methods.
is there any way to check for a bad Engine Control Module?
I'm to the point of checking the wire harness for continuity.
What have I missed other than fuel pressure? But fuel pressure won't throw an ETC.

Help please.

Quick Reply: 5.7L Surge with Rough Idle