3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loud whine coming from accessories. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If your A/C works, it's easy to test.... Start the engine, let it idle, turn on the a/c. If the noise doesn't change when the compressor cycles, it ain't the compressor.
I can tell you it doesn't change. But the noise is not at idle. The RPM's have to get to at least 1500-1800 before the noise starts.

I'll have a stethoscope tomorrow.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:43 PM
big guy
Veteran

Originally Posted by bdhuntr
I can tell you it doesn't change. But the noise is not at idle. The RPM's have to get to at least 1500-1800 before the noise starts.

I'll have a stethoscope tomorrow.
my 03 had very similar characteristics..... turned out to be a/c clutch bearing

Old 10-11-2017, 06:10 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran

I think it is likely that, but I just used a mechanic’s stethoscope and listened to the compressor clutch, water pump, power steering pump and even the new alternator and can’t pin it on any single component.

I took a video of it but for some reason I can’t seem to embed it from youtube. Here’s a link if you can listen to it and give me your opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IfnvMQ...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Default AC clutch change/repair

I think it's likely the AC clutch pulley. It's a discontinued part and the ones I've found are $$. You can buy a compressor complete with the clutch pulley for less. But probably not compatible if I just wanted to install the clutch pulley.

You can get rebuild kits. Anyone ever rebuild their clutch pulley with new bearings, etc?