3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram 1500 4.7 Magnum Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:53 PM
luxerri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Ram 1500 4.7 Magnum Overheating

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but I'm always visiting for help.

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7 Magnum that is overheating. I have researched everywhere and I am still struggling with this issue.

The truck is overheating while idling sometimes with or without A/C on. Also it overheats when driving down the freeway with or without A/C. It does not overheat in city driving.
The problem started when outside temperature reached about 90 degrees.

I have replaced Clutch Fan, water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, flushed cooling and unclogged heather core (it wasn't working before). The radiator seems to be good and there are no leaks.

I did a block check this morning for head gasket check and nothing wrong came out.

I do not know If I am missing something.. I need help urgent... truck started to fail right before camping and towing season.

PS: Is it normal that the brand new clutch fan work super fast when starting the first time of the day. I can hear it from the cabin when driving in 1st or 2nd gear, after a few minutes rev down and work normally. The problem is I can't hear it rev up again when the engine is overheating.

Last edited by luxerri; 06-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:33 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Air pocket. Try bleeding the system. Yes fan noise when cold is normal.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 PM
luxerri

Originally Posted by p38251
Air pocket. Try bleeding the system. Yes fan noise when cold is normal.
Did this already and still overheating.

Did the same as shown in this video

Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than reading an overheat on the temp gauge, have you seen any evidence of an overheat condition? If not, you may have an indication error and the culprit may be a failing temp sensor.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 AM
doneking
Amateur

I had some of the same problems as you, but mine was mainly in summer when I was towing. I eventually replaced the radiator and that was the fix.

Like you, my radiator had no leaks and seemed fine, but I started checking and noticed that there were cold spots in different sponts of the radiator when it was at normal operating temps. So even though it had been boiled and flushed...it was still clogged and not flowing adequately.

DK

Old 06-14-2017, 11:18 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

these 4.7 do run hot, first thing I did was replace the factory stat with a 180 stat. truck runs cooler and I noticed the temp gauge gets close but never over the half way point. and still runs in close loop operation. also check your shroud, it has to be complete and look at radiator to see if fins are bent and not providing enough air to cool system.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:22 PM
luxerri

Originally Posted by doneking
I had some of the same problems as you, but mine was mainly in summer when I was towing. I eventually replaced the radiator and that was the fix.

Like you, my radiator had no leaks and seemed fine, but I started checking and noticed that there were cold spots in different sponts of the radiator when it was at normal operating temps. So even though it had been boiled and flushed...it was still clogged and not flowing adequately.

DK
that's the last thing i have not replaced. Yesterday i replaced the temp sensor and it's giving me the same readings. It overheats in freeway and when idle, but run bellow half when driving in the city. Same as you my problem started now that temperature is getting higher (over 85) and I use my truck for work, so it's towing like 90% of the time. It seems like radiator will be the next new part.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:54 PM
luxerri

Originally Posted by doneking

DK
thanks for your help. I replaced the radiator and fixed the problem. Now it doesn't even reach half way. It stay bellow the whole time.