3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge ram Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 02:39 PM
dkemm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge ram Cam

I have a 2014 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 and i want to put a new cam in, i want it to be for more towing but love the sound of an aggressive idle cam. any suggestions??

Old 09-01-2017, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

You won't get both in the same cam. The 'aggressive sounding' cams are generally that way because of the RPM range they really want to operate in, and 'low-end' ain't it. You want an RV, or towing cam. They tend to have quite smooth idle characteristics.

Also need to pay attention to the 'notes' on the cam. Some will require custom tuning to get the full benefit.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:43 AM
dkemm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You won't get both in the same cam. The 'aggressive sounding' cams are generally that way because of the RPM range they really want to operate in, and 'low-end' ain't it. You want an RV, or towing cam. They tend to have quite smooth idle characteristics.

Also need to pay attention to the 'notes' on the cam. Some will require custom tuning to get the full benefit.

Any suggestions then? if i'm just looking for an aggressive idle cam which would be the best?

Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Do you actually use your truck AS a truck? If so, you really don't want a cam with a lumpy idle...... that will seriously compromise the utility of your truck.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:43 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dkemm
Any suggestions then? if i'm just looking for an aggressive idle cam which would be the best?

So you want to trade usable power for a noise? The kind of "lumpy idle" cam you're looking for will most likely not place nice with your VVT, so you'll have to lock that out (power loss #1), then discover your MDS is probably out too (mileage loss). Then you'll realize that your powerband is moved significantly up in the RPM range, which is horrible for a truck that gets used as a truck (unless it's a lighter weight short bed, short cab race vehicle). Of course to get to even run right will require good custom tuning. But hey, good luck with that; there are plenty of entities that will sell you exactly what you want. Talk to a reputable tuner, tell them what you want and what you've done (I'm assuming your truck is bone stock). A reputable tuner will try to work with you on how wild you can get, but if you still use it for towing you just can't go nuts.