3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Dodge 1500, 4.7 engine, lots of issues. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:09 PM
reader506
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 Dodge 1500, 4.7 engine, lots of issues. HELP!!

I aquired a 2005 Dodge 1500, 4.7L 4x4, Quad-cab. First issue is it knocks. My son bought it that way with 70000 miles on it and I got it from him because he wanted a house. It now has 129000 miles on it , still has the knock. I took it in to a garage when I got it from him (plan was to get it fixed and sell it and give him the extra for the house) They said the engine had an oil leak, heads were warped. So they machined them then put in a new timing chain and gears. Still was knocking. Put in a new water pump. Still knocking. Pulled engine out of truck, tore apart, put back together and re-installed. Still knocks. Put new valves and lifters in. Still knocks! Forget giving my son profit from sale, wont be one. Now I am having a cooling issue and a shifting issue. Runs normal temp at 55 but in town or on the interstate running 70 it runs hot again and it shifts down a gear or two at the slightest of inclines. I took it into the Dodge garage and explained it to them best I could. Their answer was flush the cooling system and a new therostat and said it was all good now. That will be $380 dollars. I took it home and went back the next day and told them bulls### They said they would make another appointment and look at it again. I told them sure, but I am not paying for a repair anymore that does not repair the problem. So where do I start looking?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Welcome to DF! Moving this to Third gen ram section for ya.