3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:04 AM
miper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup with the 5.7 liter hemi magnum. It has 202,886 miles on it. Not sure if this is related - but, I had purchased some gasoline from a local convenience store and the next day (the day "Irma" hit the east coast) my truck died and would not restart. The tow truck driver said it sounded like I bought some gas with water in it. (He started the refineries in Texas pumped out all of there gas and the particular store I purchased the gas from receives there gas from these refineries). So I drained all the gas out and put in fresh full (different gas station - which supposedly does not receive its gas from Texas refineries), added some STP gas treatment and the truck still won't start. I pulled one of the spark plugs and it was dirty and wet.

My question: what do you think could be the cause of the continued no start? I am thinking of replacing the spark plugs but I want to be sure this is the issue and not the timing chain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Miper

Last edited by miper; 09-16-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Need to find out what's missing. Spark, or fuel. Are you actually getting spark?

Moving to 3rd gen RAM section.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:06 PM
miper

Hello HeyYou,

Thank you for replying. Sorry for taking so long to respond. Yes I am getting spark and fuel pressure is fine. I am still having the same problem. Truck will start, run for a second, stumble, then die. I have replaced the spark plugs, MAP sensor, cam position sensor, the throttle body, and one of the coil packs (boot broke off). I purchased a crank position sensor (not installed yet). I did a non-OBD II reset of the computer (holding down the trip odometer button and turning switch to the 'on' position), the gauges cycled through, everything lit up then I received the following code(s): c code 06 42 and 29 42. What do these codes mean? And how do I resolve? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think those are just cluster test codes. It won't reset the computer.

Does your truck have any variety of alarm system on it? Factory, or aftermarket?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM
miper

It has a factory system. I bought the truck used 'as is' in 2015 with over 148,000 miles on it and the system wasn't working (didn't realize this til sometime after purchase). Everything else worked fine. I believe it was used as some kind of commercial vehicle, (it has strobe lights in the headlight and taillight assemblies), possible road crew. I didn't have any problems with the truck until the storm hit this year. I did replace the battery and alternator in 2016. I did have issues with the cruise control not engaging periodically before this current issue. What do you think could be the issue and how do I reset the factory alarm system if this is the cause?

Thanks HeyYou. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Miper

Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 PM
miper

Forgot to mention. Compression test was performed and all was good.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I know there IS a way to reset the alarm, I just don't know what it is. Might call the dealer, and see what they have to say.

Some places say locking, and then unlocking the drivers door will reset it.... and if that doesn't work, try doing the same on the passenger front door......