3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L to 5.9L Manual Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Quite likely. Considering the number of changes simply from year to year on the second gens...... apparently, all you need is a flash for your third gen for the 5.9 engine. (which they did actually come with....) It shouldn't include anything for the trans in any event, due to the separate TCM. I think.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 PM
UwharrieRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Quite likely. Considering the number of changes simply from year to year on the second gens...... apparently, all you need is a flash for your third gen for the 5.9 engine. (which they did actually come with....) It shouldn't include anything for the trans in any event, due to the separate TCM. I think.
Alright so I need to get a PCM and wiring harness out of a 3rd gen and Flash it, not too difficult. Im assuming due to the yearly changes i should get a 5.9 from a 3rd gen as well? Or can the changes be accounted for? I found a good 5.9 out of a 98 2500 for cheap, but if its easier to wait and pull the engine from a 3rd gen. Thanks for all the help btw!

Old 10-07-2017, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I don't think the year of the motor matters overmuch.... just so long as it's 96 or newer. (no egr on those.) You may want to change all the electronics though, for the correct year. (again, there may not even be any differences there..... I don't know.) If you can find a 5.9 PCM out of a 3rd gen, likely just need to get it flashed to the correct VIN.... as it *shouldn't* have any trans control programming in any event. I really don't know how much the PCM, and TCM interact though..... Worst case, you'll get some trans codes... which you can ignore until you get the PCM flashed for a manual.