3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock 20" Chrome Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:02 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock 20" Chrome Rims

I have the stock 20" Chrome(Faced) Rims, on an '03 1500 Grey Laramie. The truck has no chrome besides the rims and the grill insert. The grill outside trim is the same color grey as the truck. As much as I like the rims, I would like to put a set of black rims on the truck. I just like the appearance of an all "blacked-out" grey truck. I know I can get a good amount of money on Ebay for the stock rims. Just about enough to do an "even" swap for a new set of rims, or at least cover a big chunk of the cost of new rims. However, I can't seem to find a set of black rims that I like. I like how the factory set fills in alot of the space, while all of the new sets I see have tons of empty space in the rim (i.e.- you can see everything inside the wheel- brakes, etc).

Is there any way to have the factory rims either painted or powdercoated? I'm not that familiar with different types of paint, or exactly how podercaoting works, so I don't know if it would be possible. Is there a type of paint that would withstand the heat, brake dust, etc that the rims would endure? Is it possible to powdercoat the plastic "cover"?

Any info/advice would be appreciated. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-27-2005, 06:25 PM
IshouldaGOTtheHEMI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stock 20" Chrome Rims

powder coat is almost "bulitproof" so it will endure almost ANYTHING. there are shops that will powdercoat depending on were you live. like here in MD, a place called ATLANTIC MOTORSPORTS does alot of powdercoating.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:22 PM
spinfreak
Professional

I'm sure I could find someplace around here (South FL, Ft Lauderdale area) that can do powdercoating. I wasn't sure if plastic can be powdercoated (since it needs to be baked on). At least as far as I know anyway.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:38 PM
wreckless123
Rookie

No, you cant powdercoat plastic in any conventional powdercoating system. I am not sure what type of plastic the "Wheel covers" are made of but I dont think I would chance it, since after the powder is applied you have to heat the part up to a few hundred degrees to get it to melt...

Old 11-27-2005, 07:39 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

Why would you want to powerdercoat plastic?

Powedercoat is not "bulletproof" either, very far from it. It will scratch, not as easily as paint will though.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:19 PM
spinfreak
Professional

ORIGINAL: wreckless123

No, you cant powdercoat plastic in any conventional powdercoating system. I am not sure what type of plastic the "Wheel covers" are made of but I dont think I would chance it, since after the powder is applied you have to heat the part up to a few hundred degrees to get it to melt...
Thanks. That's what I figured.

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

Why would you want to powerdercoat plastic?

Powedercoat is not "bulletproof" either, very far from it. It will scratch, not as easily as paint will though.
This is why.....
ORIGINAL: spinfreak

I have the stock 20" Chrome(Faced) Rims, on an '03 1500 Grey Laramie. The truck has no chrome besides the rims and the grill insert. The grill outside trim is the same color grey as the truck. As much as I like the rims, I would like to put a set of black rims on the truck. I just like the appearance of an all "blacked-out" grey truck. I know I can get a good amount of money on Ebay for the stock rims. Just about enough to do an "even" swap for a new set of rims, or at least cover a big chunk of the cost of new rims. However, I can't seem to find a set of black rims that I like. I like how the factory set fills in alot of the space, while all of the new sets I see have tons of empty space in the rim (i.e.- you can see everything inside the wheel- brakes, etc).

Is there any way to have the factory rims either painted or powdercoated? I'm not that familiar with different types of paint, or exactly how podercaoting works, so I don't know if it would be possible. Is there a type of paint that would withstand the heat, brake dust, etc that the rims would endure? Is it possible to powdercoat the plastic "cover"?

Any info/advice would be appreciated. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I can't find any sets of black wheels (rims) that I like. I do however like the shape of my stock 20" wheels. However, they are chrome, and not black. I would like to find out if there is a way to either paint/coat/whatever the rims I have now. The rims are not solid metal. They have a plastic "cap" in front of the metal. Sort of like a hubcap, but not quite. They're called "Clad" wheels.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:24 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

I like these

Black Rims

Maybe you could try stopping by a body shop and asking what they think.

Anything is possible.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:37 PM
spinfreak
Professional

They're not too bad, but still not what I'm looking for. As with the ones you posted, most aftermarket rims have too much space (for my taste) between the "spokes".

Old 11-27-2005, 08:47 PM
wreckless123
Rookie

I'm not sure if they sell just the "Clad"covers but I would price a set and drop them off at a body shop and have them sprayed with a Base coat-Clear coat paint system. That is the same way our trucks are painted so it would be as durable as your trucks paint.. The reason for buying an extra set of "Cladding" is, you wont have any down time for your truck. You can just swap the painted ones on when they are done while driving it while they are being painted...

Old 12-01-2005, 03:03 AM
glock45
Professional

Check out this site for some black rims. They have some that should meet your criteria of less space between the spokes...I agree with you on that.

Quick Reply: Stock 20" Chrome Rims