3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to DF

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 PM
God Rammit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to DF

HI, I am new to the forum and still learning where everything is located both on my truck and this website. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 liter V8 that I love dearly. I have done a few minor repairs to her, plugs, coils front bearings, couple of sensors and some brake pads. I do not believe I can be considered an amateur mechanic yet. More like beginner or novice mechanic. Currently, I have a fluctuating idle but I'm on it. When my truck says jumps I say how high. Can anyone please direct me to the tech section so I can post my question? It is about the EVAP system.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by God Rammit
HI, I am new to the forum and still learning where everything is located both on my truck and this website. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 liter V8 that I love dearly. I have done a few minor repairs to her, plugs, coils front bearings, couple of sensors and some brake pads. I do not believe I can be considered an amateur mechanic yet. More like beginner or novice mechanic. Currently, I have a fluctuating idle but I'm on it. When my truck says jumps I say how high. Can anyone please direct me to the tech section so I can post my question? It is about the EVAP system.
You just posted in the tech section. What's the problem?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:12 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

common issue with the 4.7 when the idle jumps up and down. the throttle positioning sensor needs to be changed, about 100.00 from dealership, only use oem, aftermarket parts these motors don't like, simple 15 minute job, tps is bolted to throttle body. once changed truck might still run funny for a day or 2 until the pcm realizes it was changed

Old 10-28-2017, 04:35 PM
God Rammit

I have been receiving a p1486 code every couple weeks. EVAP system pinched hose/ Obstructed purge flow. I follow the hose from the Leak Detection Pump to the air filter then a hose run towards engine block and stops. It is capped with a female rubber cap and an aviation clamp. I can't figure out if this is the normal layout of the EVAP system. My common sense is telling me that line should be open or attached somewhere but I know little about automobiles still learning. Off note I have changed the IAC and could probably use a throttle body cleaning and a tps as noted and will do. When I open the gas cap I get a gust of air or gas not sure if its air going in or gas coming out. Please can someone tell me if and where this EVAP hose coming from LDP directly from filter is supposed to lead?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:25 PM
God Rammit
Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 PM
God Rammit

Just pulled the cap off the EVAP line leading to the filter for the leak detection pump. S ton of water came out the tail pipe and line itself when I fired it up. I'm leaving it off for now to see if engine light comes back on. Confident there should have been a valve on the end of the hose will hunt down the info. Idle is more stable especially when I stop during driving. Idle flutters slightly when I start her up but not as much as before gonna clean throttle body and re-gap the plugs and go from there. Also no gust of air when I open the gas cap now.