3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sunroof leak 2006 3500... Serious Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Marcoiv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof leak 2006 3500... Serious Problem

Boy oh boy.... I messed up. Got some water in the cab. Realized it was the sunroof. Did enough research to know it was the drain tubes. I thought I'd be clever and just blow out the tubes with some compressed air. "Pop!" I think I managed to push the drain tube off the front passenger side fitting. Leaks like the proverbial sieve now... Had an auto body guy tell me they'd have to take out a ton of stuff to repair that... Am I stuck with that kind of bill? Anyone with experience of this kind? If you live in Portland Oregon, I'll buy you a beer if you save me some money on this...

Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Have to take down the headliner, Problem should be obvious at that point.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:52 PM
Marcoiv
Default Headliner and sunroof

Thanks for the reply.
I did a search on taking that out and found THIS
Sounds like a pretty big job. Something a regular guy could do, or should I let the auto body guys do all that?
I did find this youtube video that might:

Old 11-29-2017, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

If you have the time, and tools, do it yourself. Save yourself a large pile of cash.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was thinking of doing that on my son’s car, thank goodness the air fitting wouldn’t reach the weep holes! Ended up using a length of weed whacking line to chase it all the way down. Worked great, thin enough to get in there, yet sturdy enough not to bend!!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Marcoiv

Weed line sounds like the right sort of stuff to clear the drain tubes. I guess the problem these lines have is that at the end of them they have fittings that narrow down way too small to let anything but water through and so... they clog. A couple of youtube posts recommend tracking them down and snipping off the ends so the holes are bigger. Its a serious design flaw in an otherwise great vehicle because if those tiny holes clog you get water in the headliner and who knows where all that ends up. As HeyYou is suggesting in his note above taking the headliner out is doable as a DIY, but a pretty big time consuming job and having someone else do it is expensive. After watching the great youtube video on removing the headliner it looks like it can be partially removed to reattach the hose that I blew off with an air compressor, which is my (stupidly self-imposed) problem. Will use your weed line idea to keep the drains clean from now on though.