3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM
fireeater88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant issue

i have a 02 dodge ram 1500 4.7,on the passanger side of the radiator is cool and the driverside is hot.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fireeater88
i have a 02 dodge ram 1500 4.7,on the passanger side of the radiator is cool and the driverside is hot.
Has the radiator ever been flushed? it sounds like it may be plugged.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:10 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this just an observation or is there a problem you are concerned about, or trying to solve. What is the engine temperature on the gauge on the dash? Is it running hot, normal, or cold?

If the thermostat is doing its job of metering flow to the rad to keep the engine temperature constant, it is absolutely normal for the rad to be hot on the driver's side and cool on the passenger side. That is the direction of flow, and that is the function of the radiator. The coolant comes in hot through the hose on the top of the rad on driver's side. Exits cooled at the bottom of the rad on the passenger side. If the engine temperatures are fine, the hot2cold side across the rad is absolutely normal function. The only time the whole rad should get hot is when all temperatures are up and it is a hot day out there, where the cooling system is full out and possibly struggling to keep the engine temperatures down.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
Is this just an observation or is there a problem you are concerned about, or trying to solve. What is the engine temperature on the gauge on the dash? Is it running hot, normal, or cold?

If the thermostat is doing its job of metering flow to the rad to keep the engine temperature constant, it is absolutely normal for the rad to be hot on the driver's side and cool on the passenger side. That is the direction of flow, and that is the function of the radiator. The coolant comes in hot through the hose on the top of the rad on driver's side. Exits cooled at the bottom of the rad on the passenger side. If the engine temperatures are fine, the hot2cold side across the rad is absolutely normal function. The only time the whole rad should get hot is when all temperatures are up and it is a hot day out there, where the cooling system is full out and possibly struggling to keep the engine temperatures down.
I am not trying to argue with you FaceDeAce but after 27 years working in a radiator repair shop I have to tell you that your theory is off slightly. Any radiator should be nearly the same temp all over if the system is working correctly. The only temp change in the radiator should be about a 20 to 30 degree drop from the top to the bottom. If your rad is cool on one side it generally indicates plugging up of the tubes. When tubes are plugged the slow the flow of water to the point that is gets over cooled. This can often be seen right on the vehicles temp gauge. It will approach overheating and the t-stat will open and you would see the gauge drop into the cold end of the gauge. This is caused by the plugging in the rad holding the water to long and when it comes out of the bottom of the rad is hits the t-stat and slams it shut. If you are seeing drastic temp change on the rad, you have plugging going on.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:45 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No argument from here. We are saying the same thing.
The OP needs to elaborate more as to the conditions and whether it is just an observation or if there is actually a problem to be solved.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 PM
fireeater88

Originally Posted by Johnboy52
Has the radiator ever been flushed? it sounds like it may be plugged.
no i have not flushes it.should i get the prestone clean and flush

Old 01-30-2018, 08:06 PM
fireeater88

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce

this is a problem im trying to solve.the top radiator hose gets hard as rock,i loose heat when this happens and over heats,i pull the relief button on the radiator cap and and get my heat back and the temp goes to normal

Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 PM
fireeater88

this is a problem im trying to solve.the top radiator hose gets hard as rock,i loose heat when this happens and over heats,i pull the relief button on the radiator cap and and get my heat back and the temp goes to normal
i did change the thermostat,water pump,and heater core

Old 01-30-2018, 08:12 PM
fireeater88

i did change the thermostat,water pump and heater core

Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

I wouldn't use any chemical products from the auto parts stores. What needs to be done is to have it power flushed at a radiator shop. Power flushing is done with a special flush gun that is hooked up to water and air. The t-stat is removed and the system is actually flushed in reverse to stand up any debris that has laid in the tube in the direction of flow. If your anti freeze is new, you can save it and reuse it. Other than that just replace it. anti freeze breaks down after a period of time and loses it anti rust protection and the Ph level change also. With a complete system flush you will also clean out the hoses and the heater core right along with your radiator. If the vehicle had a new t-stat and has overheated even one time since the t-stat was put in you need to replace that again also.

Quick Reply: coolant issue