3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi tick or what is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 AM
PlorkZ
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hemi tick or what is this noise?

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, I am hearing a ticking noise from the driver's side by the wheel well, it is actually louder when it warms up and I can hear it still as I bring the RPMs up. I attached a short video of the noise, I know it's not the best but hopefully it comes across ok. I've read here and in other forums that this is known as the "Hemi tick", but there seems to be several opinions on what the actual root cause is. From what I've read it seems that the two most likely possibilities are exhaust manifold leak or a lifter. To me it sounds like a lifter, but I'm looking for others' thoughts on it. If this is a lifter, is this still normal for these Hemi's or is this something I need to be concerned about? Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
video-1517411315 - Copy.mov (2.36 MB, 838 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Might wanna have a look at the exhaust manifold bolts. See if any are broken.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:31 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just viewed the video. It sure sounds like an exhaust manifold leak, to me. Remove the heat shields and inspect the manifold bolts. Odds are, one will fall out in your hand when you remove the shield. Next check the manifold to exhaust pipe flange connection.

.... I do not think that is a lifter. If it is, do a self check on your maintenance practice and schedule wrt oil changes. Change the oil frequently, synthetic or not. My hemi lets me know when I have overlooked or been negligent. It starts to make odd noises and ticks. I change oil, all goes quiet and smooth again.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:57 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Thanks for the replies, I just recently bought the truck so it’s going back to the dealership for repairs under their warranty deal, I was really hoping it is just an exhaust leak so we’ll see if they get it fixed. I’ll reply here with the results when I get it back. It did have an oil change too but I don’t know what kind of oil they used so I’ll try that too with some good oil.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:50 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Just got an update from the dealership doing some repairs on the truck, their mechanic said the ticking is from the injectors and that there's nothing wrong with them (in other words, they won't replace them). Doing a little research, it sounds like this is somewhat common, or at least not unheard of. I've also come across comments from people saying they run fuel with no ethanol and that would help. Maybe it needs some seafoam? Is this something I should worry about or is it no big deal? If I have to push the dealership to fix it, it's going to be an uphill battle... And of course that all depends on whether they're right about it being injectors.

Last edited by PlorkZ; 02-07-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Injectors are just solenoid valves, so, a bit of noise isn't unusual.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 PM
hooterz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are full of BS, that sounds like an exhaust leak, check them rear bolts, I bet they are broke. This is a common problem, I know I just had mine repaired.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 AM
ando37
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on what was making the noise? Mine sounds like this now I changed the exhaust manifold bolts I had 2 rear broke on passenger side and 3 rear broke drivers side. But it still sounds like a diesel just wondering wat stealership wud say

05 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Old 04-07-2019, 06:50 PM
PlorkZ
Amateur

Hey guys, coming back to this with an update, I recently had the truck in at a different service shop and they agreed that the tick noise was injectors, they hooked it up to their computer and watched the timing of the injectors firing while listening to the injectors one at a time with a stethoscope. I haven't checked the exhaust manifold bolts but there hasn't been any change to the noise in this time so I'm going with that for now.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the injectors can be loud.... some are worse than others.

Quick Reply: Hemi tick or what is this noise?