3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram 5.7l bottom end engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:56 PM
LESSOR440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7l bottom end engine knock

Hello Mopar fans, my name is Rossel and i am new to the forum. Since i was a little boy i have always been a true mopar fan. This forum has helped me tremendously through the years and i thought it was time I join and participate in such a great forum, so thank you !

I have a bottom end knock that i can't figure out and would like your opinions. I have a 2004 dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi , 200k kms and i've noticed this winter it started having this bottom end knock. It is loudest on a cold start right at first , then after about 10 minutes of idling, the sound changes and gets more quiet, but never fully goes away. Here are links to 2 videos i recently posted to youtube for you guys to hear it.

PART 1, COLD START :
PART 2, AFTER IDLING FOR 10 MINUTES:

Recently did oil change (usually go 7000kms on oil), oil looked good, cut open oil filter, no metal shaving or anything, never completely goes away, only quiets down. Does not seem to knock when i rev it passed 2000 rpm, runs great, no power loss. Also using the proper 5w30 oil (usually penzoil conventional oil) and WIX filter. Recently put mobile 1 synthetic to see if it would make a difference, but it did not) Any ideas? Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by LESSOR440; 03-08-2018 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Added hyperkinks
Old 03-10-2018, 12:43 PM
w150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. Started last summer Not getting any worse and only does at cold start. Friend of mine suggested the timing chain. His kid replaced the timing chain in his truck and noise was gone. Probably as the chain gets older and stretches it is slapping the side of the case. Don't know for sure , haven't had mine apart but sounds about right.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7l bottom end engine knock