3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Too Bog or Not to Bog

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Bog or Not to Bog

Afternoon all. I seem to be stuck in a Dodge for the long haul, not necessarily a bad thing though. Started in a 98 5.2 ram 1500 that rusted out from under me and jumped into a 08 Durango that is a beast and still kicking with 180k. Recently I stepped back a year into an 07 Ram 1500 5.7 quad cab, cause not having a truck...sucks.

All in all I'm liking the truck, but I do miss some of the bells the Durango has. One think I am not liking is what sounds like bogging from the tone of the exhaust @1400 - 1900 rpms (under 30 mph)... or is it just mds or maybe I'm just crazy? I tend to pay a LOT of attention to how my vehicles 'sound' and investigate anything out of the norm asap. When rpms are between 1400 and 1900 (giver take) just doesn't sound right. Right now leaning towards MDS, but I didn't think MDS kicked on until mph was above 30.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the MDS kicking in. If you have aftermarket mufflers the sound is terrible when the MDS kicks in. I solved this problem by getting a Diablo ITune3. You can disable the MDS altogether.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Flue
Veteran

That's what I was thinking. After driving the 08 Durango for several years and reading about the 'flutter', I was surprised that it was so noticeable in the 1500 with stock exhaust, but not in the durango. It's really too bad MDS is nothing more than a gimmick that is virtually useless. Sounds good in theory, but produces crapola.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Flue
That's what I was thinking. After driving the 08 Durango for several years and reading about the 'flutter', I was surprised that it was so noticeable in the 1500 with stock exhaust, but not in the durango. It's really too bad MDS is nothing more than a gimmick that is virtually useless. Sounds good in theory, but produces crapola.
What kind of data do you have to back up this claim?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Flue
Veteran

I attempted to complete the MDS mod by tapping into solenoid #7 with an LED. no resister = no start,. 680ohms = out of balance feeling. 2k ohms = no light...I'm narrowing in on that 1k resister. although, no code pops, I had to clear all codes to get MDS functioning again. running around the block with a meter hooked up shows that MDS is kicking on at about 8mph. MAN THAT IS SLOW!!!! According to the local radar trap my spedo is 5 mph slow, even then 13mph is a bit on the slow side.

Researched the rubber and its stock size, (though I am hating uni royal feels like I'm running on snot and pulls to the left or right, depending on rotation.

How much is that 5mph inaccuracy throwing of my MPG's and overall mileage?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:01 AM
Flue
Veteran

Missed the above question. Do I have Data? I ain't got **** but personal experience. The datasheet says one thing, the pump says another, very seldom do they do ever agree.

Our 2008 Durango currently has 180K (purchased with 110k). At 62 I used to get 18.2 (maybe 18.6, never more than 19.5 without a tail wind) with MDS on for the better of a 2 hour trip headed north. In 2015 I developed a vacuum leak and then a failed deactivation solenoid #4, taking the same route to the same destination over the last 2 years (every 2 or 3 weekends) has yielded an average of 18/18.2 MPG's (depends on many pot sitters I have to pass). A round trip of 110 miles each way for every other weekend without a trailer, without the family, with a trailer, with the family, with the trailer, but no family, with the trailer and the family and my mileage seldom drops below 17.6 mpg's.

Why 62mph? because the overdrive kicks in at right about 60-63 and the RPM's drop down...and I likely won't get a ticket for doing 7 over in a 55.

You're telling me that .2 mpg's is not a gimmick?

My 2007 Ram 1500 that kicks the MDS on at 13mph yields an average city mpg of 9.2. I'll have to turn O/D off for a week and see if I drop to 5mpgs. :P

Quick Reply: Too Bog or Not to Bog