3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny service questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM
mopar4u
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny service questions

2005 1500 5.7 130,000 miles, 4wd

thinking of dropping the pan and doing fluid and filter. My questions:

1. Looks like there are two filers, should both be replaced?
2. Should both filters be replaced every time i do fluid dump?
3. I see dorman offers a tranny pan with drain plug, if filters must be done every fluid change is there really any advantage to having a drain plug? If filters can be done every other change than i see value.
4. Is there a good reusable rubber gasket for my application?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Jbaker33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar4u

3. I see dorman offers a tranny pan with drain plug, if filters must be done every fluid change is there really any advantage to having a drain plug? If filters can be done every other change than i see value.
I would replace both of them, especially if you've never done it before or if you recently bought it from someone, used. Never know if they even did it. I happen to be doing doing some research of same exact thing. From what I've read, it doesn't matter the brand that you go with for the regular trans filter but for the twist on one, you'll want to go with the mopar brand one. Reason being is the mopar has an anti drain back valve in it. Other brands don't so when your truck sits overnight, all of the fluid drains out. When u first start it And try putting it into gear it won't go for a few seconds because of the drain back. I hope that makes sense. As far as the transmission pan, the key perk in my mind is draining most of it out without having to slowly lower the whole pan down, TRYING you best to not spill it all over the place. If you didn't want to buy the whole pan, they do make drain plugs that you can install in you OEM trans pan. While you're doing that, might as well get a transmission temp gauge and sender and hook it up too. Unless someone has finally cracked Chrysler/dodges enhanced PIDs lol. Good luck tho bud

edit. I did read on another forum that a couple of guys only change the filters every other drain and fill.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:52 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar4u

1. Two filters yes. Suction and return. Ensure when replacing the suction (big flat) filter that you get the metal ringed rubber grommet it sits in out too. Some people will actually try to shove the new grommet into the old one then wonder why their truck won't move...OEM filters are the best for these, while converter drainback doesn't hurt anything it's inconvenient having to wait for the pump to refill the TC before you can move.
2. Yes.
3. F@ck yes there is, makes it helluva lot easier to drain then remove vs undoing bolts and letting it sag to dump the fluid. ALOT less mess.
4. More than likely, however OEM from the factory is actually sealant, like permatex or similar.

Originally Posted by Jbaker33
While you're doing that, might as well get a transmission temp gauge and sender and hook it up too. Unless someone has finally cracked Chrysler/dodges enhanced PIDs lol. Good luck tho bud.
Both my Superchips tuner and the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge I have mounted will read the trans temp PID.

Quick Reply: Tranny service questions