3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird wiper function

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 PM
mopar4u
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird wiper function

05 1500 5.7

bought this a few weeks ago.

noticed when i start the truck in the morning shortly after the wipers will swipe the windshield once without me turning them on. whatever, i can live with that.

today it was snowing, i turned on the intermitent wiper and the wipers went halfway and stopped. put them on full and they worked. turned them back to intermediate and they worked except sometimes they would wipe 5 continous times, the next would be the correct one wipe and the next it might be 4 wipes in a row. very random behavior.

is the stalk to blame? if so could i get away with a used one or is this a common problem where its not worth getting used?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:44 PM
darndodge
Rookie

Same thing exactly has been happening to my 04 Ram...Surely someone has experienced the same and know what the fix us..please help us!

Old 04-05-2018, 11:58 AM
mopar4u
Professional
Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 05 used to do the same thing. Changed the switch like everyone said it is and It didn’t fix it. Changed out the wiper motor with one from autozone and it actually made it worse. Took that one back and got another one and the problem has been fixed. I would say go for the wiper motor and it should fix your problem

Old 07-18-2018, 01:59 PM
WideTurn

Exact same issue on my 05 Ram 1500 and 07 Magnum. Both turned out to be the wiper motor. No issues since replacement.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 PM
StanB
Default My experience and first post

I wanted to add my experience with this seemingly common problem. My first attempt to also add pictures.
I had the problem where only the low and high wiper function worked along with the windshield washer function. I replaced the multifunction switch thinking that had to be it after looking at a schematic for the whole circuit. I am a retired engineer and know better than to throw parts at a problem without some diagnostic work or error code or something but anyway...after reading all the posts and checking with Auto Zone and finding out a new wiper motor was around $50 I tried a new motor. I took the new motor apart and cleaned the grease off the switch assembly. The old motor definitely had some distorted contacts and after looking at the way the motor is exposed to the weather and not really water proof, I am not surprised that this is the problem with a number of trucks. I used some RTV sealant to waterproof the cover and have hopefully included the pictures.
I am now at the point where the wipers are working as designed except I do not have them mounted correctly as the locating pins in the wiper arms were gone (mentioned in an earlier post) and the home position is a little off. I will have to go back ubder the fron cowl and remove the drive arm from the wiper motor and reset the arm so that when the motor is at the home position the wiper arms are too. If you tackle this problem be sure to run the wiper motor with the wiper arms attached before reassembly.

This is the new auto zone rebuilt motor with RTV

This is the new auto zone rebuilt motor. It has a different and new looking wiper contact.

Add RTV t this seam

Add silicone RTV at the electrical connection/motor housing

Finished

Last edited by StanB; 12-06-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add pictures

Quick Reply: weird wiper function