3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent wiper DIY fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 PM
slovo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This fix worked for me. Be sure to put a fair amount of dielectric paste to keep the water out, the way the cover is designed water has a way to get in...

Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 PM
DuelingDodges
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect timing! Have that problem right now and know what I'm doing Saturday.

The following users liked this post:
christorrn (02-13-2021)
Old 04-22-2015, 12:53 PM
overstreetrules62
Default thanx 4 the pics

[I]thank you for the pictures I'm going to do this Saturday [/
Originally Posted by ewing111
Hey guys, I know there are several threads around about this, but I hadn't seen any with pictures, so I thought I would share my methodology for trying to self-fix the issue with the intermittent wipers not working. This is fairly simple job, all you need are a few basic hand tools and some white electrical contact grease and a little patience.

We are going to take apart the contacts that keep track of the timing of the wipers as well as the wiper motor, to get to that we need to take the wiper shroud off.

First take off the wipers, just press with your finger or a screwdriver the little tab and the wipers lift right off

Be sure to not lose the little key that keeps the wipers in the right spot, it's not held in by anything but the pressure of the wiper, one of mine fell out and I had to hunt around for it, luckily didn't lose it.

Next we need to get the shroud off, there are six tabs across the front, pry under the shroud with a screwdriver so you don't bust any of them

Disconnect the wiper fluid line over by the passenger side of the engine bay

Now the shroud should basically come out, you will need to push it up and back towards the back of the truck to release two little catches before you can pull it forward off the truck.

Once you have that off, you will see the wiper assembly and motor

Undo the three bolts holding the wiper assembly on, they are 10mm.

Now you need to open up the motor housing, there are 2 torque star bolts (size 27) that hold the housing in. If you are worried about putting it back backwards, make a little mark so you know you put it back right. There is a tab that helps keep it aligned too.

Once the motor is open you can clean it out of any debris or junk. Mine wasn't too bad but I wiped it out.

Now you need to take the timing mechanism apart. There are 6 tabs that come undone and the top comes right off, you can see it in the backround to the right in the motor picture.

The black piece that comes off looks like this

You can see the circles where the timing is kept. Wipe out the grease and carefully sand the brass till its nice and shiny with high grit sandpaper (at least 300).

The other piece looks like this and has 2 contacts on it. Sand down the contacts gently till they are shiny as well.

Spray white grease in the components to replace what you wiped out, dont get too much in there though.

Reassemble everything and test for proper operation. If there is a lot of excess grease you might take a few cycles for it to get back to good contact. Enjoy proper operating wipers!!!

The following users liked this post:
christorrn (02-13-2021)
Old 05-02-2015, 11:06 PM
katsrdelicious

Did this repair today. I was unsuccessful on the first attempt. I took it apart again, cleaned the three contacts/connections that you can see in the last picture above and this solved the problem.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM
overstreetrules62
Default thannnnnnnnk yoooouuuu!

it took me about thirty minutes and its working better than ever as far back as i can remember. I bought it new in 05. Its working perfectly now so i say thaaaannnnkkk yooouuu!!!!!!!ab
Originally Posted by ewing111
Hey guys, I know there are several threads around about this, but I hadn't seen any with pictures, so I thought I would share my methodology for trying to self-fix the issue with the intermittent wipers not working. This is fairly simple job, all you need are a few basic hand tools and some white electrical contact grease and a little patience.

We are going to take apart the contacts that keep track of the timing of the wipers as well as the wiper motor, to get to that we need to take the wiper shroud off.

First take off the wipers, just press with your finger or a screwdriver the little tab and the wipers lift right off

Be sure to not lose the little key that keeps the wipers in the right spot, it's not held in by anything but the pressure of the wiper, one of mine fell out and I had to hunt around for it, luckily didn't lose it.

Next we need to get the shroud off, there are six tabs across the front, pry under the shroud with a screwdriver so you don't bust any of them

Disconnect the wiper fluid line over by the passenger side of the engine bay

Now the shroud should basically come out, you will need to push it up and back towards the back of the truck to release two little catches before you can pull it forward off the truck.

Once you have that off, you will see the wiper assembly and motor

Undo the three bolts holding the wiper assembly on, they are 10mm.

Now you need to open up the motor housing, there are 2 torque star bolts (size 27) that hold the housing in. If you are worried about putting it back backwards, make a little mark so you know you put it back right. There is a tab that helps keep it aligned too.

Once the motor is open you can clean it out of any debris or junk. Mine wasn't too bad but I wiped it out.

Now you need to take the timing mechanism apart. There are 6 tabs that come undone and the top comes right off, you can see it in the backround to the right in the motor picture.

The black piece that comes off looks like this

You can see the circles where the timing is kept. Wipe out the grease and carefully sand the brass till its nice and shiny with high grit sandpaper (at least 300).

The other piece looks like this and has 2 contacts on it. Sand down the contacts gently till they are shiny as well.

Spray white grease in the components to replace what you wiped out, dont get too much in there though.

Reassemble everything and test for proper operation. If there is a lot of excess grease you might take a few cycles for it to get back to good contact. Enjoy proper operating wipers!!!

Old 05-03-2015, 04:54 PM
overstreetrules62
Default I lost one

[B][/BIn a ten foot walk on pavement I lost one of the wiper arm keys so be very carefully with them.
Originally Posted by overstreetrules62
[I]thank you for the pictures I'm going to do this Saturday [/

Old 05-04-2015, 08:37 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad this is helping people out, its sure annoying not having interval wipers...

Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 PM
ifishiwish

Thanks for posting this!!!! got a 2005 2500 a couple ago and it has this wiper problem. I tried this fix and it was very easy to do and worked out great!! It's been a few days and the wipers work flawlessly! The most expensive part was buying the white grease, my advice is find a friend that has some and use there's you don't need much. IF I CAN DO THIS FIX ANYONE CAN!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:20 PM
anglin in SD
Smile intermittant wiper not working!

Well I finally registered to this site cause it's helped me quite a bit. I've got a 95 dodge Dakota, SLT, ext. cab, 3.9 litre and here's what my problem was. When I turned on the intermittent I could hear a click behind the dash almost behind the ashtray. I checked the wiper motor, nothing wrong with that, (incidently my motor is mounted on the firewall) checked the fuses, nothing wrong with them. Behind the ashtray is a module where this click is coming from and I, like a dumbass practically took out the bottom part including the glove box. You don't need to do this. Just remove the cover below the steering column and look off the right and you'll see a group of wires. Slightly tug on this and it will pull out of there and this is where the click was coming. It is the intermittent module! Fortunately I didn't need a new module, I just disconnected it and cleaned up the contacts, plugged it back in and it works like it did. I refuse to have anything in my truck that doesn't work. Anyhow, anyone having this problem on this year of truck, hope this helps! Well my pictures didn't post so good luck!

Last edited by anglin in SD; 12-13-2015 at 04:28 PM. Reason: pictures didn't post
Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wiper PAIN !!!

So I joined this site almost 2 or 3 years ago. I have had my intermittent issue for almost a 1 1/2, spent money for the multi-switch and guess what NO GO !!!!, so I started my searching and then realized, hey! let's go check out the dodge forum. So glad that I did, I will be ripping it apart this weekend in hopes of correcting my issue with out a purchase.

04'
Ram 1500
167,000 miles and running strong

I love being a dodge owner 25+ years

Quick Reply: Intermittent wiper DIY fix