3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram low RPM problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 04:59 PM
tonyown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram low RPM problems

Hi all,

I'm new here, I own a 2004 dodge ram 1500 SLT 5.7L (2x4).

Since about a month my ram started to show problem at low RPM. It began by simply engine shutoff when I released the gas some times like 2-3 times per week at first and only after 5-6 minutes of driving. After a week or two it began to happen more often and I began to notice low RPM swings between 300-1000 rpm before it shut off and I have to restart the engine. Now, sice 4-5 days it's beginning to be terrible when I drive in town at low speed and rpm, when I'm stopped and I try to go forward, the engine hesitate and BANG weels slips and there it goes it's like nothing or everything, not smooth at all and engine still stop alone very often now. I tried to see if there's symptoms but seems like the only symptom is that it's getting worst and worst with time. No check engine light so I can't check code.

I first looked at the air filter, it was completly clogged with dust and kind of oil I guess, so I replaced it with a new, I tought the problem was solved because I had no problem for a first ride, but it came back very quickly. I tried to look at my transmission oil level but I'm not able to reach the right oil temperature as the owner manual say, I drive 25 km and the oil is still very cold (maybe because I have a oil cooler and it's like -10 celcius outside). So when I drive 25km and check transmission oil it is in the high part of the "cold" section on oil stick (so really low for hot oil if it was) which is normal I guess since my oil is cold at touch...

I seen on google searchs I did that it could be transmission oil level, charcoal canister, vacuum leak, multiple sensor like O2 or others, etc. but seems like a lot of "Maybe", is someone able to tell me what is the more logical thing to start with?

Thank you

Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 AM
Flue
Veteran

Cam shaft position sensor was causing the same in my 1998 1500. also did the same to our *gasp* ford windstar years ago.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:41 PM
tonyown

Thanks everyone for that many answers, most useful forum I've ever seen. By the way if anyone wonder, it was EGR valve

Quick Reply: Ram low RPM problems