3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear end gear question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Grkmscl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your help. I just ordered a cold air intake. The rear and feontgear prices aren't too bad. I think I'll be doing that upgrade. Do you know how hard they are to replace?

Old 04-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Grkmscl

Ok. One more question. Do you know how I could figure out my towing capacity with the 4.56 gears installed?

Old 04-22-2018, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Cold air intake won't really help you either. The stock systems are actually pretty good, and are already "cold air" systems. More or less...... These remind me a lot of throttle body spacers. They hype is good, but, in the real world, they only lighten your wallet.

If you haven't done gears before, I highly recommend you pay someone else to do it. (expensive, and for a reason.) Either that, or have someone that has done it before help you. There are some special tools involved, and you get ONE chance to do it right. Do it wrong, and you can damage the get gears, or even destroy the differential...... Gear set up is an art form, and not many shops will even attempt it.

Your two rating isn't going to change. Going to the bigger tires with stock gears actually LOWERED your towing ability, changing your gears to go along with the larger tires will simply put you back to basically stock specs.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:19 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 05 4.7 and geared mine to 3:92. It does the job but grabted i dont pull as much as you are. As for the electric fan converstion. I did it and i can tell you from experience that it does NOT add 10 hp. At most it adds like 1-2. It does however help alittle bit with the mpg. I have never heard of the pcm controlling the mechanical fan clutch. To tell you the truth i dont think thats even possible. Ive done both setups as far as the fan. (Made my own/bought one). I can tell you from experience that the purchased ones work alot better and last alot longer. Im on my 3rd setup the first 2 i pieced together. I didnt like the way they performed and the fans didnt pull enough air because i had to use the original fan shroud. I could really tell pulling a trailer in the summer. I finally bought a flex-a-lite kit from amazon. I came with everything i needed and you dont use the original fan shroud. So far its working 10x better than the others. Yes it was kinda expensive but to me it was well worth it in the end.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/direct-f...dodge-ram.html

Old 04-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Grkmscl

Well the toy hauler is only 5400 lbs. Only will be pulling it 3-4 times a year. Say stock with the rear end that's in it, should pull 6200 from what I recall.it actually pulls it just fine. I replace the rear shocks with some load leveling ones that have coil springs on them too. Was just wanting a little more power and better gas mileage. Transmission has the tow haul feature. Just don't want it to struggle and wear out early. Love my truck and don't want to replace it.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gears will be the best gift you can give your truck.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Grkmscl

Think that's what I'm gonna do next. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:32 PM
professorjedi

Hey Grkmscl

I've got an '02 4.7L with 3.55 gears and I want to haul an RV. I'm looking to make any and all mods to help me haul more and very interested in how things go with your gear upgrade.

Also can you tell me what shocks/springs you used to upgrade?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Grkmscl

I haven't done anything with the gears yet. Don't know if I'm going to. I went to a 4x4 shop and they suggested I don't do anything unless I absolutely have to do. I have replaced the rear shocks with heavy duty ones. Gonna put an air lift set up on it next. Have a runer, cold air intake, and electric fan.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by professorjedi
Hey Grkmscl

I've got an '02 4.7L with 3.55 gears and I want to haul an RV. I'm looking to make any and all mods to help me haul more and very interested in how things go with your gear upgrade.

Also can you tell me what shocks/springs you used to upgrade?
How much does your RV weigh?

Quick Reply: Rear end gear question.