3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stuck in Tow/Haul

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 PM
Torasu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in Tow/Haul

I have recently purchased a 2004 Ram 1500 5.7L, the transmission had gone out afterwards and was fully rebuilt. The issue before the tranny was rebuilt, was that once I got to operating temperatures I was only able to have 1st and 3rd. The transmission tech said the oil pump had been failing which cause all the clutches to start failing. Full rebuild, under warranty, I am now stuck in Tow/Haul mode only. I can jam that little button a thousand times, turn the car off, disconnect the battery, pull every single fuse (still have a couple pulled cause they dont matter in this truck)... and to great disappointment, it is still in tow/haul mode. I am a freight hotshot driver, and i cant have this on anymore, im down to between 4 and 8 mpg. best yet, my transmission guy says he has no idea, cause he has never heard of this problem... which brings me to this here forum. new user so... Hi!

Anyone have any info or any suggestion on this?

btw, broke and behind... looking for a no expense or inexpensive fix. or please tell me to go back to the tranny guy and have him look at the overdrive clutches and replace them...

Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I am not a transmission guy. However...... Plug in with a scanner, does the PCM think you are pushing the tow/haul button? Is there some 'failsafe' reason for the trans to want to stay in tow/haul mode? (does it think it is overheating??) Do you have a separate trans control module? Has IT failed??

Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Torasu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea. It was rebuilt and fully upgraded by the transmission technician, he didn't tell me anything else.

I ran into a few students from UTI here in the DFW area and they said since my tranny was rebuilt and updatex, it's having a mirroring issue with the com and it's been thrown into (what I found in Chevy forums) a fail safe, which is tow/haul mode.

Apparently its a racket setup by the companies to still make money on old cars. -.- so now I gotta find a way to pay for this b.s.

Quick Reply: Stuck in Tow/Haul