3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 Hemi Dodge Ram vs Chrysler 300c Hemi the same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Esco27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 Hemi Dodge Ram vs Chrysler 300c Hemi

So i needing some help. I just got a good deal on 04 Dodge Ram 1500 with a half messing 5.7 Hemi. Was told the Cylinder head On one the cylinder are bad. So i was told that needs a rebuild or a new/use engine. I found a 05 Chrysler 300c 5.7 Hemi for a steal for a 5.7 Hemi. Now my question would it work?
What would i need to swap out to make it work? I’m only missing the driver side head but the block is bad. Have everything else.
Is the transmission going to fit it?
I can see the dipstick for the oil is on a different spot. Would i be fine?

Last edited by Esco27; 06-03-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you need to tear down the 300 engine to a short block. You need to replace the MDS lifter set (your truck does not have it and no, you can't enable it) with non-MDS lifters and remove the solenoids; you can use the block plugs from your old engine. You will also need to swap oil pans, dip stick and front cover for the accessory drive. Everything else is the same. Some of the sensors may have different plug connectors; use your original sensors (or same year replacements).

Old 06-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Esco27

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
So you need to tear down the 300 engine to a short block. You need to replace the MDS lifter set (your truck does not have it and no, you can't enable it) with non-MDS lifters and remove the solenoids; you can use the block plugs from your old engine. You will also need to swap oil pans, dip stick and front cover for the accessory drive. Everything else is the same. Some of the sensors may have different plug connectors; use your original sensors (or same year replacements).

thanks for the reply. But yeah the engine that came off the truck does have MDS sensors on it. (Those the sensor under the intake manifold.) they’re 4 sensor. Would i need to swap them out?
I did also notice the the dip stick on my truck is on the side of the block and in the 300 it’s it comes out of the oil pan. Would the 300 one have that i would have to check its on my truck bed so it’s a bit hard to move around.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:14 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Esco27

thanks for the reply. But yeah the engine that came off the truck does have MDS sensors on it. (Those the sensor under the intake manifold.) they’re 4 sensor. Would i need to swap them out?
I did also notice the the dip stick on my truck is on the side of the block and in the 300 it’s it comes out of the oil pan. Would the 300 one have that i would have to check its on my truck bed so it’s a bit hard to move around.
They're not sensors and I guarantee you don't have the solenoids lol
These are the block plugs

These are the solenoids

If your 04 1500 5.7 has solenoids in the valley then your engine has been replaced (with an incorrect one I might add) already. Already told you need to swap oil pan and dipstick, not gonna repeat myself. Take my word that I have more experience than you with these machines or not.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:44 PM
Crhhib
Default Hemi question

Have a similar situation. I have an 04 2500 ram hemi wrecked with a new motor. I have an 06 300c with a bad motor.. Can the 04 block go in the 300c with the mds lifters and solenoids that the 06 300c has? Thank you

Old 05-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Jason Hamilton
Default Chrysler hemi swap for dodge hemi.

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
I have the sane question but vice-versa
What do I need to do to put a 2018 dodge hemi in a 05 300c?

Old 05-05-2021, 10:45 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Hamilton
I have the sane question but vice-versa
What do I need to do to put a 2018 dodge hemi in a 05 300c?
Straight bolt in, drop it in and go

Old 05-10-2021, 01:59 AM
Jason Hamilton
Default I have a 05 300 and a 2018 dodge hemi.

Originally Posted by Magnoom
I wish it were that easy when I went to pit the water pump housing on it would not fit.
so I got a diffrent timming gears and chain but still did not fit and seem like chain was way to tight

Old 05-10-2021, 02:02 AM
Jason Hamilton
Default I have a 05 300 and a 2018 dodge hemi.

Originally Posted by Magnoom
I wish it were that easy when I went to pit the water pump housing on it would not fit.
so I got a diffrent timming gears and chain but still did not fit and seem like chain was way to tight

This is the old timing chain,the new one i aslo had to take the plate off the gear.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

I totally lied lol, because this is a minimum weekly (sometimes even more often) question by people who can't be bothered to do research or even ask BEFORE hand.....
You have a pre-eagle car (05-08) and are trying to put in an eagle 5.7 (2009+). The engine redesign and the electronics that run it are so different they're a whole generation removed; this ain't the old days. Even WORSE, you're trying to put in a TRUCK engine into your car.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Hemi Dodge Ram vs Chrysler 300c Hemi the same?