3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9l 360 transmission

Old 06-15-2018, 03:54 PM
RamDamage
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9l 360 transmission

I'm sure my 46re is not far from it's end. Some days it's super smooth some days it feels rough. Anyways, I plan on making my 360 a 408 stroker. First question, is this 46re really geared at 2.55:1 in first? I know I need a stronger tranny so my next question is, could I have this 46re rebuilt and sustain? Or is it better to get brand new? Third question, would 3.93 or 4.10s push the 408 better? I'm also not sure what my pinion ratio is stock, and which would match best with either 3.93 or 4.10. I'm not trying to tow. What about my differential?

Old 06-16-2018, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Go here, click on 'equipment listing', enter your vin, and hit submit. That will tell you what your stock gear ratio should be.

Stock, the 46RE won't last long behind a 408....... However, there is a LOT you can do to beef it up. If you can do it yourself, several companies sell kits of various flavors, according to the power level you will be making. They go from mild, to insane. (and cost goes up accordingly. ) Check out these guys for some ideas.

Gearing depends on what size tires you want to run, and the intended use for your truck. Also, the 408 build is NOT going to be cheap. One member had over 5 grand into his, and he wasn't done yet.........

Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 PM
RamDamage
Amateur

I don't plan on towing or getting different rims. 20" rims, biggest I'll get is 33's, may just run 30's. I wanna leave anyone who pulls beside me in the dust. Boss got a new raptor n I told him we're racing once I get this built. Gonna take care of bottom end before the engine is rebuilt. The money will be worth it to me, I love my truck. Whats the name of the member who's done the 5k of work? Does he have videos?

Old 06-17-2018, 08:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Search for 408 build in the 2nd gen ram section. There are a couple threads........ No videos, but, there were pics. It's an older thread, so, don't know if the pics are still up or not.

Still think I would go with something along the lines of a level 2 Viper trans....... that should stand up to the power you produce. (not to mention driving style. )

Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 AM
RamDamage
Amateur

Would it hurt to get the level 3 mega viper? I'm gonna push for the most hp and torque possible, and some guys I've talked to say these 408s can push 600-700hp if done proper. My truck is an 03 Laramie, I love it and I will keep it til I can't drive anymore. Not sure if I've seen another 3rd gen Laramie that's not a 5.7 around here yet. Also, how well will my differential hold up? I'd rather not drop 4k on a tranny and my differential not be able to withstand it. Headed to check out that 2nd gen forum, havent yet.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Mega viper will take pretty much anything you wanna stuff into it.

I don't think the rear end will be that much of an issue, as you will likely be traction-limited more than anything else. Put some serious weight in the bed, and then nail the go-pedal, and you might be able to blow it up though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.9l 360 transmission