3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crushed o ring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 AM
Greg84
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crushed o ring?

Hey there, just joined so I could ask this question. Last week I installed a new steering rack in my truck. There’s still groaning coming from it when I turn even though I’ve tried to bleed it by turning the wheel back and forth about 30 times. What I’m thinking it is, is when I was connecting the pressure line I got to a point while threading it in where I felt a crunch and I thought oh no I think I just cross threaded the flare nut. So I backed it back out only to discover that the i ring had crushed. I didn’t have another one at the time so I just re installed it and hoped for the best. Now it doesn’t seem to be leaking, but i think air may be getting in there any way. Anyway my question is, have any of you guys ever crushed an o ring? I’ve never seen it before personally. It come with the pressure line which was made by Edelmann and it was green in Color rather than black. Really just curious if these green ones are made a lot cheaper or something? Thanks

Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If it isn't leaking, the o-ring is doing it's job.

Jack up the front, start the engine, and cycle the steering back and forth a couple times. Check fluid level. Also see if the fluid is frothy. (indicates air getting whipped into it.) If it is, let it sit for 30 minutes or so, and do the same thing. Eventually, you will get all the air out, and it should be quiet again.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Greg84
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it isn't leaking, the o-ring is doing it's job.

Jack up the front, start the engine, and cycle the steering back and forth a couple times. Check fluid level. Also see if the fluid is frothy. (indicates air getting whipped into it.) If it is, let it sit for 30 minutes or so, and do the same thing. Eventually, you will get all the air out, and it should be quiet again.
yeah I’ll try that again. Thanks

Quick Reply: Crushed o ring?