3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Random ground wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Lauren Kirkman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Random ground wire

My husband just bought an 02 and when we popped the hood, there is a (apparently) random extra ground wire coming off of the negative terminal. We are wondering A) what it’s for since there is already the ground wire and B) does it matter where we connect it to?

I’ve attached a picture of the wire. We appreciate any help! Usually I can google and find these things but we are at a loss.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

On the older trucks, that wire would go to a stud near the power steering pump. But, on yours, it seem the power steering pump isn't where I would expect it to be...... I suspect, if you find a good bolt on an engine bracket somewhere, that will be adequate to the task.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did a motor swap on an 02 4.7 ram. Mine had a ground wire bolted to the block just above the oil pan, below the power steering pump. Right next to the oil filter drain catching thing (not sure of official name for it) i think the jeep i pulled the motor out of had its ground wire there. Shouldnt matter much as long as the ground harness on the heads are intact

Quick Reply: 2002 Random ground wire