3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case/Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:58 PM
Busterdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case/Transmission Problems

When I put my Dodge 2008 Ram 1500 4 wheel drive auto trans in 4 wheel drive, the "Service 4 wheel drive" light came on. I have 82,000 miles on it.
On my way home on the freeway, the engine sped up and went into neutral. I pulled over and the truck would not move forward or backward. So I put it in 4 wheel drive, heard a clank and then it went into gear. I was able to drive home in 4 wheel drive.
When I got home, I took it out of 4 wheel drive and the truck moved fine in drive and reverse.
Tried it again 10 minutes later and the truck would not go into gear until I put it back in 4 wheel drive. When I do put it in 4 wheel drive, it makes a slight clunk as it goes into gear. I can then take it out of 4 wheel drive and it works for a while and then goes into neutral again.
Any help/clues as to what might be going on and how to fix it?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like your actuator is bad. It can switch by itself at any speed which can have disastrous outcomes. Make sure you are in 2 HI, then crawl under the truck and disconnect the harness from the actuator. This will keep it from shifting on it’s own.
The actuators are pricey from a dealer, and since they rarely fail, I was comfortable buying used from E-bay. No problem since part swap last year, 10 minute job.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case/Transmission Problems