3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E Brake/Rear Axle/Dust Shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:07 PM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E Brake/Rear Axle/Dust Shield

Got an '05 5.7 with over 250k on it. Still a strong running truck. Needed an inspection and the e-brake wasn't holding. Cable wasn't seized (awesome start) but when I went to remove the rubber plug on the right rear dust shield to get at the adjuster the shield basically disintegrated.

Alright I thought. Gotta do what I gotta do. Plus it gives me a reason to sit in the garage and drink beer ���� Got the ebrake rebuild kit, some dust shields and new shoes. I realize then I opened up a whole can of worms when that shield disintegrated. In order to get the shield on I need to remove the axle. Again a strong truck. I only plan on keeping it another year and then using it for plowing possibly so I don't have a huge desire to invest anymore than I have to. I'd prefer not to get into the axles rear diff, seals, bearings, etc if I don't have to. I thought I would post this before I dove into it.EDIT I want to mention I've never pulled the rear axle(s) on this truck so this would be my first time and that alone could cause some issues. I do have the service manual.

Short story long. Anyone have any ideas on getting the dust shield on without removing the axle(s)? Only thing I am guessing is making a cut but that comes with obvious pitfalls. aka attaching the ebrake assembly properly, corrosion, dirt etc getting at the ebrake assembly I just replaced,etc.... Not to mention making a cut that will still allow everything to attach properly for the ebrake.

Has anyone pulled the axle without doing seals etc and been successful?

I am open to all ideas. I would put my skill level with mechanical/sheet metal/welding above average if that opens any doors for ideas. I attached a pic of the shields to help understand what I am up against.

Appreciate any help, Thanks for reading.

Last edited by eisej; 09-29-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added that I've never pulled out the rear axle.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:59 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems you have all that new stuff I would be pulling the axles. Not too difficult. If all goes well will only cost you for gear oil and a couple seal.
remove the cover. One lock pin holding the spider gear axle in. Once the spider axle is out try not to turn the axles. Just pull straight out. If you turn the axle the spiders will come out.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:08 PM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice and I took it. Besides having to have a friend bring me some gear oil, seals, and gasket sealer it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. You are right once the diff cover was off it was one bolt, the pin, and the C clip.

A lot of work for a dust cover and quite honestly a poor design but I've had countless repairs go A LOT worse. Thanks for the help.

Here's a great youtube vid on getting the axle out.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yeah, just open up the diff, and pull the axles. Changing the fluid wouldn't hurt in any event. You don't wanna cut up your new parts, you would also have to bend them around to get them over the axle.

Quick Reply: E Brake/Rear Axle/Dust Shield