3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help please, Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 04:47 PM
2guste
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How old/what brand are the 02 sensors?
so o2's are too rusty to see any branding on them.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM
2guste
Default Update

Originally Posted by 2guste
Alright so, my 04 dodge ram 1500 5.7 Hemi quad cab with a colt air intake, intake manifold spacer on a remanufactured engine 4000 miles ago which is misfiring. I have took out the good ol code scanner. The original codes were system too rich and miss in cylinder 3. I checked sparks, wires and coils all checked out. Did a swap of everything to a different cylinder. Still had miss in 3. Two days later it went from miss in 3 to random miss. Now it has o2 high voltage and low voltage, random miss and every now and then rich system. I have checked egr, replaced crank sensor, checked injectors, checked all fuses and relays, spark, wires, coils, alternator, battery, throttle body, and all connectors to those items. Everything checked out. I am not sure where or what to check next. Also it all started when when cold driving and refused to shift into a higher gear then stalled out. Recallebrated throttle then started to miss.
so I noticed my exhaust pipe is also about one bad pothole away from breaking off rite after my cat. Could that also be causing part of the issue? It is already missing about 5ft of it and it's about to completely break off another 4ft of it.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Your O2's are likely original then, wouldn't hurt to change them. (pre cat sensors, don't worry about the post cat sensors.)

Easy test to see if they are the problem would be to simply unplug them, and see if it runs any better. (will set codes though.)

Old 10-18-2018, 05:55 PM
2guste

Originally Posted by big guy
pull valve cover to check for broken valve spring.... good luck
so the joys of owning a older truck is that all but one bolt on each side of the engine come off. Not sure how to get those tiny bolts off the cover.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 PM
2guste

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Your O2's are likely original then, wouldn't hurt to change them. (pre cat sensors, don't worry about the post cat sensors.)

Easy test to see if they are the problem would be to simply unplug them, and see if it runs any better. (will set codes though.)
so I simply pulled the connectors on both my pre cat o2's. Truck runs better but still throws miss in 3. So I am thinking o2 and something else combined is causing the issue

Old 10-18-2018, 06:08 PM
2guste

Originally Posted by 2guste
Alright so, my 04 dodge ram 1500 5.7 Hemi quad cab with a colt air intake, intake manifold spacer on a remanufactured engine 4000 miles ago which is misfiring. I have took out the good ol code scanner. The original codes were system too rich and miss in cylinder 3. I checked sparks, wires and coils all checked out. Did a swap of everything to a different cylinder. Still had miss in 3. Two days later it went from miss in 3 to random miss. Now it has o2 high voltage and low voltage, random miss and every now and then rich system. I have checked egr, replaced crank sensor, checked injectors, checked all fuses and relays, spark, wires, coils, alternator, battery, throttle body, and all connectors to those items. Everything checked out. I am not sure where or what to check next. Also it all started when when cold driving and refused to shift into a higher gear then stalled out. Recallebrated throttle then started to miss.

truck now only shows two codes p0174 and p0175 misfire went away a few days ago and has not shown up since.
anyone know why my truck likes to idle in park and neutral at 1100 rpm and 700 in any other gear? Oh and tps yesterday kept making me recalibrate throttle went 12 miles and had to do it three times. Today went 15 miles didn't do it once

Quick Reply: Help please, Misfire