3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Pump failure = oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:27 AM
bemasters
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Pump failure = oil leak?

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7l 2wd standard cab with just over 200,000 miles. Scenario: Saturday I checked all fluid levels etc.. all were good. The following Monday driving home from work I picked up a rattle and some belt squeal, thought it may be the AC compressor clutch bearing. At home popped the hood, found the water pump was the culprit. I also noticed the belt was oil soaked, and there was a LOT of fresh oil picked up by the belt and blown around the compartment. Checked the oil, two quarts low. Still had a small amount of coolant in the reservoir as well. This engine has always been dry as a bone, no oil leaks at all and little or no oil loss between changes. The only obvious failure is the water pump, which is no issue to replace, I am at a loss as to where the oil may be coming from and how losing a water pump could result in the loss of two quarts of oil in 20 miles of driving. Looking for suggestions or possible scenarios to check.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I wonder if it is just coincidence that you developed an oil leak at the same time...... But, start looking around for where the oil actually came from, first guess would be front main seal...... but, anywhere it could actually find it's way from the leak, to the belt, is going to bear investigation.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:47 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Oil loss could be from valve cover, you may just need a new gasket.
A water pump will usually leak coolant through the weep hole prior to failure. You could have been slowly losing coolant and just now noticed it.
I don't think the oil on the belt and water pump failure are related.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:35 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two quarts in 20 miles is a major leak. Any way you can clean the engine, service the oil and run it before it gets hot to see where the leak is? Front main or timing cover gasket could be the culprit.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:05 AM
JCannon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had the same problem almost identical. I lose 2 qts of oil, pretty sure i`m burning it about every day or two and my truck was a non leaker and didnt burn oil till I changed water pump. :/ could it do that from maybe getting wrong bolt in wrong place? Its a longshot .. some of the bolts were longer than others.... 02 Ram 5.9

Old 07-25-2021, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Nope. Water pump, including bolts, and oil system are completely separate. With the 5.9, I would be first looking at the intake plenum gasket, it's notorious for blowing out, and oil consumption is a prime indicator that it has failed. Valve seals are another avenue for oil to escape via the combustion chambers. Especially on high mileage engines. I might be tempted to do a cylinder leakdown test, and see what condition the motor is really in.

Quick Reply: Water Pump failure = oil leak?