3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lpg conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
bailey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lpg conversions

hi guys
just wanted to know if any body has got an lpg conversion on there truck, tryin to find out how many miles ill get to a full fill of a 230litre tank, on a 5.7 quad cab
thanks

Old 12-08-2005, 04:57 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lpg conversions

I'm just about to go through that process as I'm sick of our goverments policies on petrol pricing.
It really does spoil our Ram experience. For you guys in the good old US of A (gods country if you ask me), gas prices currently run at the high end of $7 a gallon to the $8.
I have an 03 Ram QC 1500 shortbed Hemi and the MPG SUCKS !!!!

But hey, I knew that already and I WON'T whinge about it.
However, I 'm about to have a Prinz, underslung (I'm not losing my truck bed load area) twin tank sequential injection, LPG system fitted, hopefully (not quick enough for me ha ha ha) soon.
I have seen them fitted on a variety of Range Rovers, from the early pre BMW stuff to the newer top of the line £80 grand stuff.
The system appears to run sweet and looks well, with all the savings of 38p a litre to go with it.
I couldn't tell when the guy syitched from LPG, to Petrol and back. The idling engine just didn't stutter or show any signs of it at all.
He says there is a little performance drop, which he says will be hardly noticable on a 5.7 Hemi and just 1 or 2 miles less per gallon if we were running on petrol.
All in all then hopefully a good thing for us here in the UK to do and stick two fingers up to the treasury and bloody Gordon Brown !!!
As stated in another post on this board, it'll placate the tree huggers amongst us, as it's a VERY clean fuel to use and to be honest, I do support cleaning our act up.
I'll post what the install runs like when it's finished and give out some info on how it all runs etc.
Take care mate and enjoy your truck.
Al.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
bailey

question for abarmy
im about to pick the truck up next week, how does it cost to fill up here in the uk and how many miles do you get from a tank?
Ive heard the prins system is the best lpg conversion and it is factory fitted on the cherokee 5.7 in holland, how large are the tanks your having fitted under your truck
as ive been led to believe i can only swop the spare for a 90litre and i doubt that will give many miles. i plan to use the truck quite regular on the motorway etc, so need as many miles to a tank as poss

Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 AM
abarmby
Champion

Hi,

Firstly, I haven't as yet "brimmed the tank" as it costs too damned much over here. I think £80 to 90 will possibly do it?
Yup, gas milage is TERRIBLE on these Hemis and then some. I figure 12mpg up to about 15 if you don't go over 60mph on a long run as on a motorway.
The chap that's fitting my LPG kit (hopefully soon, he has soooo much work on at the minute due to the high prices of fuel) said I would have to either have a bed fitted tank, which takes up a hell of a lot of room but gives the capacity needed to allow less fuel stops, or the underslung twin tank solution.
These twin tanks are smaller than the bed fitted type, but being two, the capacity is the same.
I don't as yet have the info on their capacity, but will post as soon as I have some more details.
Al.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:53 PM
axxel

I drive a hemi in Holland.
I have a 95liter ringtank instead of the spare tire,i can fill it only with 80% LPG so about 75 liters(20gallon)
I can run 275-350km (170-220miles)
Mostly i travel at a speed of 75-90
Here 1 liter lpg costs 45 eurocent.

I have a prins VSI system now for 1,5 year.(27.000miles)

alex

Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: bailey

question for abarmby
im about to pick the truck up next week, how does it cost to fill up here in the uk and how many miles do you get from a tank?
Ive heard the prins system is the best lpg conversion and it is factory fitted on the cherokee 5.7 in holland, how large are the tanks your having fitted under your truck
as ive been led to believe i can only swop the spare for a 90litre and i doubt that will give many miles. i plan to use the truck quite regular on the motorway etc, so need as many miles to a tank as poss
Haven't as yet had the conversion done. The poor chap had to go into hospital so it through his whole work program out the door by putting things back a few weeks or so.
My conversion is scheduled for the 9th January 2006.
I did however find out that the underslung tanks are 70 litres each giving a potential of 140ltrs minus 20% for expansion etc giving a working fuel load of 112 litres.
See picture.[IMG][/IMG]
When it's all finally finished I'll post with all the results and impressions.
Have a warm and happy Christmas.
Al.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Burrwood

I have a 1500 Ram 4.7 on lpg un the UK
I had done @ 30K mile when it blew three exhaust valves
I am told that this is a problem with this particular engine
None the less it is back together now with new valves.hardened valve seats & a flash lube kit
It has always run well up until it blew but I sure we have covered all the bases now
Good luck
By the way I carry 115 litres in 2 tanks up in the spare wheel well
between 380 to 440 Kms per tank

Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: Burrwood

I have a 1500 Ram 4.7 on lpg un the UK
I had done @ 30K mile when it blew three exhaust valves
I am told that this is a problem with this particular engine
None the less it is back together now with new valves.hardened valve seats & a flash lube kit
It has always run well up until it blew but I sure we have covered all the bases now
Good luck
By the way I carry 115 litres in 2 tanks up in the spare wheel well
between 380 to 440 Kms per tank
Hi,

What type and make of LPG kit are you running............?

I've heard about a "Flash Lube Kit", but what exactly is it.......?

Are they necessary.............?

Can I retro fit one if needed...?

Where can you buy one and how much.

How do you konw about the 4.7 having these problems and do the Hemi's......?

I don't want to fit something which is supposed to give me some kind of economy, but find I drop valves all over the place and it costs me a fortune.

I know I've posted a lot of questions, but i want to get this right and any info would be very much appreciated.
Cheers.
Al.

Quick Reply: lpg conversions