3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Krsiss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start

So i have an 06 2500. It has 220k miles. Since i have bought it has always had a hard time starting. Over the last two years i have: replaced both batteries, and had to replace the injectors. It still has a hard time. I will let the light go off but it barely has 12 volts to start or it will have about 14 and go to start and drain it and I have to try a second time. If it does start it throws white puff of smoke out the exhaust for a sec.i will try some de- gel I have plugging it in and no problems. My bro in law saids it can sometime be the voltage regulator and getting the computer re flashed will fix the regulator. Please help.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Diesel?

Does it roll over slow, or just crank a long time?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Krsiss

Originally Posted by Krsiss
So i have an 06 2500. It has 220k miles. Since i have bought it has always had a hard time starting. Over the last two years i have: replaced both batteries, and had to replace the injectors. It still has a hard time. I will let the light go off but it barely has 12 volts to start or it will have about 14 and go to start and drain it and I have to try a second time. If it does start it throws white puff of smoke out the exhaust for a sec.i will try some de- gel I have plugging it in and no problems. My bro in law saids it can sometime be the voltage regulator and getting the computer re flashed will fix the regulator. Please help.
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Diesel?

Does it roll over slow, or just crank a long time?
Diesel. Cranks for a little bit then starts. Had a couple of times where i crank it until you hear something pop then it won't crank just one click. I unhook the battery, wait a minute, and then hook the battery up and it will start. Only happens just a couple times a week if it is warmed up its fine. Could it be the starter?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Sounds more like a bad connection somewhere. The pop you hear is like the circuit arcing. Check the main power feeds from the battery to the starter. I suspect one of them is loose.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Krsiss

No they're as tight as they can be. I'm about to break the lead on the terminal post. So i'm kind of scratching my head. Anything else you can think of?

Old 11-23-2018, 07:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

No they're as tight as they can be. I'm about to break the lead on the terminal post. So i'm kind of scratching my head. Anything else you can think of?
My fuel did the same thing before I traded it for a Hemi. You are saying that when you turn it over it turns fine but eventually it will kill the battery?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Krsiss

No it doesn't drain it the batery is fine. I just unhook an reset. My bro in law said it could be the computer itself. Think thats possible?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

No it doesn't drain it the batery is fine. I just unhook an reset. My bro in law said it could be the computer itself. Think thats possible?
Not one bit do I believe the computer is to blame. Like I said my diesel did that an dealership said it was normal. It was under warranty and I even took it to a dedicated Cummins garage and they even said it was normal. So I traded it in for a gas motor. You have to go back to the basics. Starter, battery, grid heater, ignition switch, and finally wiring

Old 12-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Krsiss

Ok thanks

Old 12-02-2018, 02:42 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Ok thanks
You are welcome, never worked on a diesel before so that is basically all I can tell you. Good luck

Quick Reply: Hard start