3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is this "hose"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:27 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as 'HeyYou' suggested, slow down and watch-it for awhile. Check the PS and Xmission fluid levels and watch them for any loss over time and miles. Your pic looks as if that is a lo-pressure (return) line form the cooling coils back to the PS. So not unusual for the Mopar PS sys. If you can see or finger the PS pulley shaft, check for fresh fluid leakage. If so, buy a container of PS leak stopper. No use fixing anything until you know where its broke.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM
campermama
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup still dealing with this....actually waiting for better weather....but, I still think it is leaking at the "T" connection but I can't get to those clamps. The part number I need is 52113929AD, it is a Mopar part, I can't find any other OEM part that replaces this one and they want $100 +! I also don't know if they send the whole thing - hose from cooler to reservoir and the other long hose from the T, for $100+ I want the whole thing.
So my idea now it to just remove mine, hardest part will be removing hose from bottom of reservoir, other two are easy to get to, then clean it up, inspect it, put new clamps, reinstall.

I'm open to other advise/ideas. Thanks in advance!!

SP

Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A perfectly fine plan.
You can easily find hoses and hose fittings (barbed T) at just about any local hardware store or "mechanical hose and fitting" store, farm/agri store, hydraulics store. These lines are low pressure, carry oil/synthetics, and potentially high temperature. So do not use household plumbing hose and fitting. What you would be looking for are hydraulics hose and fittings. Not expensive, but more than PVC/ABS stuff.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:29 PM
campermama
Professional

HELP!! I can't get the hose off from under the reservoir, no room for hands, limited room for tools, I was able to get the clamp moved down I just can't get the hose off now. It's not stuck, I can't get a hold of it to work it off.

Any ideas?? I am dead in the water now!

Old 01-20-2019, 09:49 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the hose off the cooler so you have something to grab to pull the hose end off the reservoir.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:24 AM
campermama
Professional

Originally Posted by bdhuntr
Take the hose off the cooler so you have something to grab to pull the hose end off the reservoir.
Tried that but that hose has a curve in it, didn't work. I ended up just cutting the hose at the reservoir. It is just a small hose. I took all the hoses apart, cleaned it all up at the T connector, put it all back together with new clamps, new small hose to reservoir. It was a bitch to get out and a bitch to get back in but it's all in. I ran out of daylight so I will be putting the fluid today and fingers crossed there will be no leaks!!

Thanks for all the help guys!! Oh and the new piece of hose and clamps cost $10, so if this works I will have saved $100+ (cost of new) :-)

Old 01-20-2019, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Jack up the front of the truck to bleed the air out of the power steering system. It's just easier on everything. (including your wallet. )

Old 01-20-2019, 02:08 PM
campermama
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Jack up the front of the truck to bleed the air out of the power steering system. It's just easier on everything. (including your wallet. )
I can't get it jacked up....my truck sits pretty high. I'm trying to use the truck jack and then put a stand under it but nothing goes high enough....I'm trying from the frame behind front wheel.

Ideas??

ALSO, once its off the ground do I just turn the key to acc (before it starts) and I will be able to turn the steering wheel??

Last edited by campermama; 01-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Jack it up under the axle, one side at a time if you have to. But the stands under the front axle as well. (or, the control arm, that's likely the lowest hanging part there. Keep in mind, it will compress, and change angle some as you put the weight on the stand.)

Make sure your power steering reservoir is full, start the engine, turn the wheels lock to lock a couple times, shut off the engine, recheck fluid level. Fluid may look frothy, if it does, just leave it sit for 30 minutes, and check it again, top off the fluid. Keep doing that until the fluid is no longer frothy when you check it, and reservoir is full.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:36 PM
campermama
Professional

Ok, just wasn't sure it was ok to jack it up on the axles, I will try that. Weather turned bad here and busy tomorrow so now won't be till Tuesday :-(

Quick Reply: What is this "hose"?