3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Spark Plug Changeout

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:09 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hemi Spark Plug Changeout

Spent the afternoon giving some love to the old Ram.
Oil change. Throttle body cleaning. Front to back under carriage inspection. Etc.... AND

Changed out the 16 spark plugs on the Ram 5.7 Hemi.
I can say that anyone who has spent some time doing this will not have any want or need or desire to attend yoga classes in the near future and will need to goto church the next morning to own up to the associated expletives.
I could post a few pictures and open some discussion on the spark plug job if there is any interest or any questions about it.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
Spent the afternoon giving some love to the old Ram.
Oil change. Throttle body cleaning. Front to back under carriage inspection. Etc.... AND

Changed out the 16 spark plugs on the Ram 5.7 Hemi.
I can say that anyone who has spent some time doing this will not have any want or need or desire to attend yoga classes in the near future and will need to goto church the next morning to own up to the associated expletives.
I could post a few pictures and open some discussion on the spark plug job if there is any interest or any questions about it.
Back in the early 90's, when the 'new' Ford trucks had been out for a few years, we had one come in for spark plugs. I wrote the estimate..... and was FLOORED when I looked at the labor time. 3.5 HOURS to change 8 spark plugs...... I thought that was outrageous, until I looked under the hood, and saw how much 'stuff' needed to be removed just to SEE a few of them......

Old 12-31-2018, 12:39 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I try to do as much on my own vehicle as I'm capable of doing, but as someone who is a little physically challenged, spark plugs are something I don't feel the least bit guilty or embarrassed about paying someone else to suffer through.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

snap on makes a 3/8 drive magnetic swivel spark plug socket... it shortens the time considerably...well worth the $50

Old 12-31-2018, 11:50 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, it was a fun time. Definitely not a job for anyone with physical challenges. There are alot of climbing up / down, contort this way, arch that way, lay like this, stand like that .......
By no means a difficult job. Access is actually pretty good. Just a lot of body repositioning and time consuming limited space for ratchet movements. As for tools, absolutely have to have a spark plug socket with rubber plug holder in it (or magnet), socket flex extension, and assortment of various lengths of extensions. I used a 3/8" set. A 1/4" set may have been easier to work with but perhaps not strong enough.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:06 AM
Later2u
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The right extension, 3-4 inches, and a swivel along with the spark plug socket and you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Hemi Spark Plug Changeout