3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wagon Locking Diffs versus Anti-Spin

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Raven87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Wagon Locking Diffs versus Anti-Spin

Hello all - newbie here. I'm looking at buying a used '05 Power Wagon. It of course has the electronic locking diffs that from what I've read only engage when you are in 4low - is this correct? I asked my salesman about if the standard Anti-spin was in effect when in 4High but he didn't know!

I apologize if this is a typical newb question but I did a search (and in the Dodge literature) with no success. So - do you have essentially an open axle when in 4 high or is the rear axle a typical 'posi' type unit? I don't know much about the electronic units and would like to have some measure of traction when in 4 high - will this truck offer that?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Raven87
Default RE: Power Wagon Locking Diffs versus Anti-Spin

Ok... I kept digging and this is what I have found. It is from Four Wheeler Magazine's writeup on the Power Wagon:

"A look underneath, however, reveals a rear 10.5-inch American Axle & Manufacturing (AAM) axle that features an electronically actuated locking rear differential called the TracRite GTL. This differential not only offers full lock when engaged, but it also operates as a helical limited-slip differential when disengaged. Like the rear, the front 9.25-inch axle also sports an AAM-designed TracRite electronically actuated front differential that offers full lock capability. "

Therefore, according to this info, the rear axle acts as a conventional limited-slip unit until electronically locked. At that point, it is positively locked but this can only occur in 4Low.

IF this is incorrect, please post the info.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Pwrwgn

You are correct. The rear axle is limited slip all the time and locked when the switch is engaged. The rear axle is much like the Gleason Torsen axle in it's operation-if you are familiar with that axle design. Currently it will only lock or engage in 4-low. I would also like to engage it it 4 high, but haven't found a way to do it yet.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Raven87

Thanks for the confirmation. How do you like your truck? What kind of real world fuel mileage on the road or the highway are you getting? The economy doesn't concern me - I'm just curious.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 AM
DCXgageman
Veteran

Hello Raven87,

I am also new to the site but have a little more info. This is my third Ram, a '94, '01, and '05. All three have had sure-grip (posi is a GM name) but the Power Wagon works MUCH better than the last two's limited slip. My only thought is the different design makes it so much nicer. Reminds me of my '77 road runner (aspen) I used to own but without the tire squeal around corners. Very happy so far. We got 6-8 inches of snow and I went looking to play on some of the remote back roads. I never needed 4wd, just went easy on the gas and it climbed all the snow covered back roads I could find.

I have not used the lockers yet. My personal experience with a friends locked up Jeep (Det. Locker and something in the front?? don't remember right now) is if you lock up in high range you will break more parts. Too much wheel speed, such as in mud, and you hit a hidden log or something grabs abruptly and SNAP there goes a U-joint or worse. Just my .02.

Quick Reply: Power Wagon Locking Diffs versus Anti-Spin