3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Polyurethane bushing control arms track rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:44 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Polyurethane bushing control arms track rod

Looking for any reviews for polyurethane bushing for control arms, sway bar, track rod and leaf spring bushing. My 04 2500 seems a bit loose in the front suspension and steering. About to order energy suspension polyurethane bushing and was wondering what people think of them. The poly is suppose to be a bit stiffer then the oem rubber. Also instead of the rubber bushing twisting the center pin in the bushing is free to rotate which should last longer. For install i have seen that the outer metal sleeve of the bushing is used and old bushings are burned or cut out. Just wondering if any one has anything good or bad to say about the poly bushing. Thank you to any and all replies.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Poly bushings are indeed stiffer, which is both good, and bad. Good in that things are much more secure, there is less slop from bushing distortion under load. Not so good in that shock/vibrations which normally are absorbed by the rubber bushings, is not transmitted to the rest of the truck. (including the passengers.....) They also tend to be squeaky. There are graphite impregnated bushings that are less prone to squeaking, but, they still squeak..... drilling them for grease zerks helps, but, doesn't cure it all.

That said, it's a truck. It doesn't ride the best from the factory, so, stiffening up the ride a bit, but making steering more precise..... well, up to you if the trade is worth it. It was to me on my firebird...... and with the graphite impregnated bushings, along with drilling them for the zerk fittings, squeaking was pretty much eliminated. (but, not quite completely.)

Quick Reply: Polyurethane bushing control arms track rod