3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss of HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Bailey Haller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of HP

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
4.7L V8 magnum
172,000 miles
Loss of horsepower and lack in acceleration which seems to lead to slightly late shifting.
Hearing a rushing air sound from under hood while accelerating.
No codes popping up
Can’t find any vac leaks
I’ve sprayed carb cleaner all over to try and check for vac leaks/change in idle but found nothing
Whatever the problem is it isn’t consistent.... sometimes it’s bad sometimes it’s mild

HELP!!!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Any codes? Is it running smooth otherwise?

Old 01-27-2019, 10:50 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Could your fan clutch be locked? If the fan is not disengaging then you will likely see mpg drop, sluggish engine, and air sounds.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Bailey Haller

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any codes? Is it running smooth otherwise?
no codes, i wouldn’t say it’s running smooth just because this issue is an all the time kind of thing but yes other than this everything else seems to be ok. I’ve been able to plow despite everything that’s going on even though i rather wouldn’t. I don’t really have the money to have anyone else look at it right this moment😑 clogged cat, failing brake booster and bad fan clutch are a few things that have crossed my mind just haven’t had the time to check anything out with all this money falling from the sky and power naps here and there...

Old 01-28-2019, 09:09 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To add to your list maybe its egr valve related or tps or fuel pressure. If you have not cleaned your tb i would do that for sure. If you think your cats are plugged take your o2 sensors out and take a drive. What things have you done recently? Plugs coils addatives filter sensors stuff like that

Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 PM
Bailey Haller

Originally Posted by jrsick
Could your fan clutch be locked? If the fan is not disengaging then you will likely see mpg drop, sluggish engine, and air sounds.
That’s kind of what im leaning toward after looking some things up, i plan on looking into it tmrw morning before going out to plow. I pulled the fan clutch and fan clutch relay fuses to see what would happen... I’ll be honest i didn’t Really know what to look for but the fan starts pumping every time i start the vehicle and seems to always be on and pulling the fuses had no effect. I don’t know much about mechanics but I’m trying to learn. I don’t want to be that guy throwing parts at his vehicles forever

Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Bailey Haller

Reason i said anything about brake booster is because i believe when the issue is mild the brake pedal seems to be much more firm or tight i guess you could say. But same goes for gas pedal almost like there’s resistance somewhere (clogged cat?) and when the issue is real bad neither pedal feels “tight” or has much resistance. Plus the rushing air sound seems to be coming from right around the booster but can’t really be to sure what’s going on under the hood from drivers seat

Old 01-29-2019, 06:29 AM
Bailey Haller

Originally Posted by 3rdgens4sell
To add to your list maybe its egr valve related or tps or fuel pressure. If you have not cleaned your tb i would do that for sure. If you think your cats are plugged take your o2 sensors out and take a drive. What things have you done recently? Plugs coils addatives filter sensors stuff like that
I was told i don’t have an egr. I changed plugs Just after i first noticed the issue and have used a bottle of Seafoam. Other than that nothing really. Great idea I’m going to pull the o2 sensor and see what happens

Old 01-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Bailey Haller

So it did end up being my fan clutch. Crazy how the fan clutch was causing so many issues and my truck is running fantastic right now thanks for the input guys!

Quick Reply: Loss of HP