3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Ram owner, exhaust questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:14 AM
4xfreak
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ram owner, exhaust questions?

Today I went and signed all the papers for my new 05 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport with the 5.7L hemi. I can't wait to go pick it up monday. An exhaust system is going to be the first thing to be changed. There was a girl there with an 05 daytona and i asked if she would hit the throttle a couple times so i could hear the borla exhaust and it wasn't very loud at all. It didn't seem very much louder than stock. I want a new system but don't want to spend a fortune either. I thought about just running straight pipes off the cat. with 4" tips but i'm afraid of the lose of back pressure. What are my options? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New Ram owner, exhaust questions?

ORIGINAL: 4xfreak

Today I went and signed all the papers for my new 05 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport with the 5.7L hemi. I can't wait to go pick it up monday. An exhaust system is going to be the first thing to be changed. There was a girl there with an 05 daytona and i asked if she would hit the throttle a couple times so i could hear the borla exhaust and it wasn't very loud at all. It didn't seem very much louder than stock. I want a new system but don't want to spend a fortune either. I thought about just running straight pipes off the cat. with 4" tips but i'm afraid of the lose of back pressure. What are my options? Thanks.
I would never go straight pipes, do not care for the sound. I guess if you left the resinator it may be OK. Speaking of the resinator not sure if the Daytona has one, if so that is why that Borla system is quiet.

You cheapest solutions....

1. Just remove the resinator, if not loud enough
2. Just replace the muffler with a Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster whatever.

The top two are done with minimal pipe work.

Or go with a cat bak system. THis being more expensive has a plus, you can take you entire stock system off and store it in case someday you sell it and the buyer pulls the I have to put an exhaust on it so they offer you $400 less, then you pull out the stock and say here you go, I will take the $400.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

With a 4" exhaust, you will lots of back pressure. I'd just go the route that everyone suggested. Just replace the muffler. If you don't want it too loud, many have been happy with a Gibson side swept exhaust. Relatively cheap, bolt on. (cheap as in cost, not quality. Quality is fine.)

Old 12-11-2005, 05:15 PM
4xfreak
Professional

I'm definatly going to go with a cat back system because I want dual pipes extending from beneith the rear bumper. The reason I thought about going with straight pipes is because I've heard them on other hemis and I thought they sounded pretty good but if it's going to cause a lose in hp and torque I'll stick on a flowmaster or borla muffler. and runs dual pipes from it. Speaking of the flowmaster and borla muffler how much of a horsepower increase can I expect over stock by just replacing the muffler and removing the resonater? From listening to the sound clips on the net of the flowmaster mufflers I like the flowmaster super 40 series. The borla site offers you a sound clip choice of V8 muscle or truck and suv. The V8 muscle sounds alot deeper than the truck and suv for whatever reason. One more question..? What about glasspacks? Just a thought. I just hate to spend the money on something without really being able to hear it first.

Quick Reply: New Ram owner, exhaust questions?