3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CV Boot Failure (multiple times)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM
Pj Schuster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot Failure (multiple times)

hey guys, so i have an 04 Ram 1500 4x4. I had put on in the last year a 2.5 inch level kit and 2 inch rear block kit to rais the truck alittle. Ever since the raise was done my front right cv axle boot has torn (gone through 3 so far after the orginal failed). The left side is the original and never has failed. Now the last time i had it in the shop, my friend said the shock mount was “bent”. Could that cause the boot to rub and fail? Also if you look at that side the wheel is tilted in ever so slightly. I havnt felt any play or heard any noise while driving. I just constantly keep finding a torn boot after not driving much at all. What could be possible cause of this?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:46 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Certainly sounds like the boot is rubbing or catching something to cause the tear. Sounds like you have an alignment issue from what your saying about the wheel tilt (camber).
When your diagnosing be sure to allow for suspension movement and possible contact between cv boot and other objects

Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Can you post some pictures of the CV joint and boot on level ground? A picture of the shock mount would be good also.
I agree with dogman, and suspect there may also be a problem with the install of the CV boot.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM
Pj Schuster

The wheel tilt, kinda hard to tell but its there

Boot tear where it meets hub

The shock mount
Yepp. I will put some pics on shortly
so here are the pics of the cv axle and shock on level ground, the shock mount, the place where the boot ripped alittle, and then the slight tilt of the tire.

Last edited by Pj Schuster; 02-27-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Pj Schuster

I also have pictures of the driver side shock mount and of the axle angle. The shock mount of the bent side is really close to the upper control arm compared to the driver side

Old 02-27-2019, 10:52 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

With those CV angles, I'm surprised you are not blowing boots all the time.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Pj Schuster

Ive gone through 3 after the original one went. But the drivers side is perfecy fine. Im having trouble trying to find a Differential Drop Kit which may help the CV angle

Old 02-27-2019, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Pj Schuster
Ive gone through 3 after the original one went. But the drivers side is perfecy fine. Im having trouble trying to find a Differential Drop Kit which may help the CV angle
Probably won't find just the diff drop, folks will probably want to sell you the entire lift kit.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:38 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

The CV boots are stretched quite a bit on level ground. Add some suspension travel to that and I can see why the boot would tear.
Do a search for "high angle CV boots" and "CV boots for lifted trucks". You'll need an extra long CV boot, OEM isn't going to work. Polyurethane boots are super tough, just hard to find in the right size.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Pj Schuster

Originally Posted by jrsick
The CV boots are stretched quite a bit on level ground. Add some suspension travel to that and I can see why the boot would tear.
Do a search for "high angle CV boots" and "CV boots for lifted trucks". You'll need an extra long CV boot, OEM isn't going to work. Polyurethane boots are super tough, just hard to find in the right size.
so basically its a waste to just put on the same kind of cv shaft that i have been. But i will post a pic of that when i can. Could an alignment issue also have an impact on why the boot has torn? I dont think ive gotten an alignment done after the axle was replaced

Quick Reply: CV Boot Failure (multiple times)