3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 tranny bolt to a 5.9? Both gassers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Tired iron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 tranny bolt to a 5.9? Both gassers

I have a 03 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9 gas engine with a bad transmission and transfer case and I have the opportunity to butba complete 04 with a 4.7 engine in it. Will the transmissions swap over?

Old 03-04-2019, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired iron
I have a 03 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9 gas engine with a bad transmission and transfer case and I have the opportunity to butba complete 04 with a 4.7 engine in it. Will the transmissions swap over?
Not really. Most of the bolts line up, but, the electronics in the older truck won't have a clue how to run the newer trans.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Tired iron

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not really. Most of the bolts line up, but, the electronics in the older truck won't have a clue how to run the newer trans.
Even though the trucks are of the same generation and 1 year apart things could be that different? Also the 03 that has the bad tranny is a auto and the 04 is a 5 spd. I was going to buy the whole truck so I could get all the pedals, steering column and everything to switch from auto to 5 spd.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:52 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even though the trucks are of the same generation and 1 year apart things could be that different? Also the 03 that has the bad tranny is a auto and the 04 is a 5 spd. I was going to buy the whole truck so I could get all the pedals, steering column and everything to switch from auto to 5 spd.
You didn't specify in your original post your were going from auto to manual. You'll need to get an ecm from a 5spd 5.9, or get yours reflashed it'll be looking for outputs from it and probably kick a bunch of codes if it doesn't get feedback. Plus you'll need a flywheel for your 5.9 (96+) as the 360 is externally balanced.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Tired iron

I did neglect to say that I would be switching from auto to 5 spd in the original post. I knew that I might have to change some things around possibly as far as computers and things. My biggest concern was making sure that the bell housing was the same between the two. I would have 2 complete trucks side by side so I will have the pedals, clutch parts including flywheel, starter because I would bet that those are different too.

Here is the whole story.... right now my household has 2 trucks that are 03's. Mine is a 03 3500 crew cab dually diesel 4X4 with a 6spd. My wife/ex wife whatever she is going to be has a 03 1500 crew cab short box 4X4 with the 5.9 gasser and auto tranny. Her truck has always been a POS, but she just had to have it so we could have "matching" trucks. The tranny would overheat going up hills empty and it has a crappy lift on it that causes it to eat tires like crazy.

My truck was down with injector issues and I had a camper I needed to move so I used her truck and it ended up toasting her tranny. I knew before I did it that it would either do it or it wouldn't. So since it went out I knew would be time for a new tranny. I found a complete truck that is a 04 1500 4X4 crew cab shortbox with the 4.7 and a 5 spd. The truck is mostly complete but a few things had been sold like seats and a few little things. The guy wants $500 for the rest of the truck which I am all for. This way I have everything for the tranny swap which she does like the idea of, and I want the headlights and hood for my 03 3500.

Providing the bell housing is the same I expected that I would need at least the computer, starter, flywheel, steering column, drive lines, pedals, and the rest of the clutch parts. I dont brag to be a dodge guy, I don't drive a dodge, I drive a Cummins. Ford is where my loyalty lies mainly so I don't know what what engines and bell housings interchange when it comes to dodges

Old 03-05-2019, 12:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I did neglect to say that I would be switching from auto to 5 spd in the original post. I knew that I might have to change some things around possibly as far as computers and things. My biggest concern was making sure that the bell housing was the same between the two. I would have 2 complete trucks side by side so I will have the pedals, clutch parts including flywheel, starter because I would bet that those are different too.

Here is the whole story.... right now my household has 2 trucks that are 03's. Mine is a 03 3500 crew cab dually diesel 4X4 with a 6spd. My wife/ex wife whatever she is going to be has a 03 1500 crew cab short box 4X4 with the 5.9 gasser and auto tranny. Her truck has always been a POS, but she just had to have it so we could have "matching" trucks. The tranny would overheat going up hills empty and it has a crappy lift on it that causes it to eat tires like crazy.

My truck was down with injector issues and I had a camper I needed to move so I used her truck and it ended up toasting her tranny. I knew before I did it that it would either do it or it wouldn't. So since it went out I knew would be time for a new tranny. I found a complete truck that is a 04 1500 4X4 crew cab shortbox with the 4.7 and a 5 spd. The truck is mostly complete but a few things had been sold like seats and a few little things. The guy wants $500 for the rest of the truck which I am all for. This way I have everything for the tranny swap which she does like the idea of, and I want the headlights and hood for my 03 3500.

Providing the bell housing is the same I expected that I would need at least the computer, starter, flywheel, steering column, drive lines, pedals, and the rest of the clutch parts. I dont brag to be a dodge guy, I don't drive a dodge, I drive a Cummins. Ford is where my loyalty lies mainly so I don't know what what engines and bell housings interchange when it comes to dodges
Technically you drive a Dodge, just saying. The bolt patterns are different but you can get adaptor plates. I would look into why the transmission went as I have 350,XXX on the factory tranny on 40s. Since you like Fords you should be a master mechanic so finding out why the transmission went should be cake. I dislike diesel I even bought a Cummins and swapped a v8 into it lol anyhow welcome to the forum nonetheless

Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might get lucky and be able to find a bell housing for the 5.9 Magnum IF the bell housing is bolted on. I also heard the bell housings do match up, only catch is you can't put the the very top bolt in, and I also heard they DO NOT match. It's some work but you'll only find out if you try. I hate mixed info, you never know what to believe, and I don't think you can use the fly wheel from the 4.7 on the 5.9, the 5.9 has a crank sensor on passenger side on the back of the block, make sure the bell housing had the provision for it, or it will never run. And it also needs the correct fly wheel. Only 5 speeds I know of are the nv3500 and the nv4500. I have the 4500 in my 05 2500 with the 5.7. the bell housing un bolts, so worst case you'll have to find a bell housing for a 5.9 if it's the nv4500.

Quick Reply: 4.7 tranny bolt to a 5.9? Both gassers