3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0358 code not having any luck

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 PM
timdirt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0358 code not having any luck

As the title states I have a p0358 code for the ignition coil this is the one I replaced after I bought the truck I screwed up didn’t run the codes since guybsaid it was for o2s right away. New stock champion plugs new coil compression test 180psi kinda stumped now not having much luck finding anything to test it other then changing coils around but that’s a pain in the *** being number 8

Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by timdirt
As the title states I have a p0358 code for the ignition coil this is the one I replaced after I bought the truck I screwed up didn’t run the codes since guybsaid it was for o2s right away. New stock champion plugs new coil compression test 180psi kinda stumped now not having much luck finding anything to test it other then changing coils around but that’s a pain in the *** being number 8
What are you asking exactly?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 PM
timdirt
Rookie

What else can I do i replaced the coil new plugs compression test was good. Wiring doesn’t look bad or chewed up anywhere is there something else I’m missing to fix it.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

P0358 Probable causes include:
1. ignition coil defective,
2. secondary ignition (plugs, wires, cap, rotor),
3. poor electrical connection or circuit fault,
4. driver circuit fault-ignition module or PCM.

I would probably at least replace all the plug wires an all plugs if you haven't already

Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM
timdirt
Rookie

New coil plugs used stock champions only thing I didn’t do was the wires. I’ve unpluged the coil and it makes no difference I’ve read about the pcm could be bad or the plug is no good but not finding anything about testing it’s always just swap the coil.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to see if the coil is getting signal
Found this on OBD-Codes.com should help you resolve your issue

If the engine is misfiring presently, stop the engine and disconnect the #8 coil wiring connector. Then start the engine and check for a driver signal to the #8 coil. Using a scope will give you a visual pattern to observe, but since most people don't have access to one there's an easier way. Use a Voltmeter in AC Hertz scale and see if there's a Hz reading of between 5 and 20 or so that indicates the driver is working. If there is a Hertz signal, then replace the #8 ignition coil. It's likely bad. If you don't detect any frequency signal from the PCM on the ignition coil driver circuit indicating the PCM is grounding/ungrounding the circuit (or there is no visible pattern on the scope if you have one) then leave the coil disconnected and check for DC voltage on the driver circuit at the ignition coil connector. If there is any significant voltage on that wire then there is a short to voltage somewhere. Find the short and repair it.
If there is no voltage on the driver circuit, then turn the ignition off. Disconnect the PCM connector and check the continuity of the driver between the PCM and the coil. If there is no continuity repair the open or short to ground in the circuit. If continuity is present, then check for resistance between ground and the ignition coil connector. There should be infinite resistance. If there isn't, repair the short to ground in the coil driver circuit NOTE: If the ignition coil driver signal wire is not open or shorted to voltage or ground and there is no trigger signal to the coil then suspect a faulty PCM coil driver. Also keep in mind that if the PCM driver is at fault, there may be a wiring problem that caused the PCM failure. It's a good idea to do the above check after PCM replacement to verify there won't be a repeat failure. If you find that the engine isn't misfiring, the coil is being triggered properly but P0358 is continually being reset, there is the possibility that the PCM coil monitoring system may be faulty.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0358
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Old 03-23-2019, 02:41 PM
timdirt
Rookie

Well I guess I’m lucky got another code popped up p0351 so I’m able to check it all easily and put that into what trouble I’m having on number 8. Pulled the coil while it was running and getting nothing no fire said wth decided new coil to use for a test mule and it made no difference unplugged the coil was getting a reading on bolts and from the above post sounds like I’ve got a grounding issue to chase down in the wiring

Old 03-30-2019, 02:17 PM
timdirt
Rookie

Ran a continuity test on the coil wires says they are good. All leads back to a bad pcm

Quick Reply: P0358 code not having any luck