3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil sensor switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 06:18 PM
Shotguntom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil sensor switch

My 07’ Ram 1500 has the 4.7 engine. I just bought it a few weeks ago. Has 84,000 miles on it
Truck runs fine , but the oil gauge doesn’t work and the check gauge light is on.
I replaced the sensor with a new one, but the gauge still doesn’t read anything and the check light remains on.
Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?
Possibly bad gauge? Possibly new sensor is bad? Like I said, truck runs fine, but not real comfortable with no oil pressure reading. Thanks

Old 03-31-2019, 05:22 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be a clogged pickup or just a sending unit. Confirm the loss of pressure with a mechanical gauge and then go from there. Are there any codes ?

Old 03-31-2019, 05:48 PM
Shotguntom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
Might be a clogged pickup or just a sending unit. Confirm the loss of pressure with a mechanical gauge and then go from there. Are there any codes ?
By sending unit, do you mean the oil pressure sensor switch? I installed a new one, but no change in problem.
No code at all. I have to get a mechanical gauge to check actual pressure too.
If the pickup is clogged, I assume I will need to drop the pan. How difficult is it on a 2 wheel drive truck?
Thanks for you initial in put. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Shotguntom; 03-31-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:45 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Unsure on the 2wd of how difficult , depends on whats in the way of getting oil pan off , be easier working in a pit or with a lift for sure , laying on your back would make the job much worse

Quick Reply: Oil sensor switch